Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #161

Momentum Vans Upgrades Jan-May 2020

I'm about to head back to sea for my last tour before retirement. As part of that, this will be the last major upgrade for Linus. I drop off the van @ Momentum Vans in Arlington WA on Monday. Brian and his gang are putting out quality builds, the are just an excellent resource for our local van community.

1) ROAMBUILT RACK WITH ATF AUTOMATED SHADE: new rack with integrated automatic shade. Lower profile, grating flat surface, lighter weight.
a. FLATRACK configuration – lower profile
b. 50” LED light bar in front.
c. Cut-outs forward fan, aft 12V KINGTEC AC UNIT.
d. Crossbars as the current rack has.
e. Integral wiring fore and aft for all current wiring.
f. XM antenna mount aft
G. Lifting bar off back of rack which will accommodate a HARKEN 4:1 purchase or similar for lifting the spare tire.

2) KINGTEC 12V A/C UNIT: Remove aft fan, install 12V unit, wiring.

3) OWLCAM DASHCAM: Mount dashcam, hard wire.

4) Add Air blow out connection after water pump in domestic water system.

5) Replace KENWOOD head unit with ALPINE INE-W977HD unit.

6) REROUTE DRONE MOBILE/COMPUSTAR TEMP SENSOR:
a. Re-locate the temp sensor to a location inside the van that is a more accurate read of the interior temp. Current location reads approximately 15-20^ high in sunlight.

7) KONI SHOCKS: Replace forward shocks.

8) VAN COMPASS HI-LIFT MOUNT: This purchased from VC does not work as intended, the mount is too close to the van. Each piece will need to be modified. Powder coat black or paint when complete.

9) VAN COMPASS SUMO BUMP STOPS: Remove stock, install VC stops.

10) MORE USER-FRIENDLY CUSTOM BUG SCREEN FOR SLIDER DOOR: The current Sportsmobile bug screen is cumbersome and time consuming to set-up, all Velcro around the edge. It takes forever to set-up and then remove. New screen will be zipped into place and set-up to be semi-permanent, essentially rolled up and stored along the top edge of the slider when not in use. Then a quick drop down and zip in two pieces for use. Possible magnetic strip on bottom of screen.

11) BATTERY COMPARTMENT HEAT: Add XTREME HEATER to battery compartment for cold weather additional heating. Route to 110 panel, possible separate accessible switch. The EXTREME heater is designed with lithium batteries in mind. Auto on at 39^, off at 55^. Lithium batteries cannot be charged below 32^.

12) LITHIONICS NEVER-DIE BMS: New advanced VERSION 8 BMS that is both SOC and Bluetooth capable. Remote switch added for BMS. Replaces the VERSION 7 BMS.

13) Blue LED lighting string or individual lights for night lights. In the flare spaces or underneath the sleeping platform.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #162

Continued awesome build!
Old 01-18-2020, 11:44 AM   #163

Thanks EDDYTURN.

The van has been all we'd hoped and more. Last week is a beautiful example of how the van has broadened our hiking envelope. I spent a week in the Olympic National Park. 50 miles hiked in 4 days throughout the park and on the Peninsula.

It rained all but one day. And I mean 24-hour non-stop rain. I was the only camper at Ozette Campground in the western coast part of the park.

Complete solitude.

I still hiked.

Get back to the van at the end of the day, off with the wet gear, boot/glove dryer started, hang wet exterior cloths over the D5 vent. Within minutes I'm warm and dry in the van drinking a cold beer while rain beats down on the van. Warmed up Thai food for dinner. Wonderful experience.

Next day cloths and pack are completely dry and ready for another wet hike.

A National Park Ranger came through in the 3rd day at Ozette and looked at me like I was crazy. He told me I had to leave because of excessive flooding on the only road in/out. I would have stayed! But on the way out crossed two flooded areas of 6-12" on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0197.jpg  
Old 01-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #164

Momentum Vans Shop

Kudos to Brian and his team at Momentum for their continued quality builds. I'm thankful he's still willing to take on Linus for upgrades. Every time I visit it seems business is ramping up for Momentum.

Outstanding asset for the local NW van community!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0314.jpg   IMG_0313.jpg   IMG_0316.jpg  
Old 03-20-2020, 08:01 AM   #165

Momentum Van Upgrades

Unsettling times but the work at Momentum continues.

Kingtec AC installed, waiting on Roambuilt rack and stealth awning.

Owl cam installed.

Koni in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
362BF667-951C-493F-9F98-66F2A0CFDBB5.jpg   9319BDFF-3504-4C02-A1CD-F2AD94444580.jpeg   10A6BD22-F6AB-496D-B845-210E0B5C2970.jpeg  
Old 03-20-2020, 08:12 AM   #166

Backcountry,

How's the Black Blue van looking? aka Hoka Hey! I think that's it in one of the pictures above. You have a lot of the same components going on yours..... Also, what is your purpose for the Owlcam? How do you intend to use it?
FlaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #167
tlg

Garage
Backcountry,
Just a heads up on your Kingtec. We have a Kingtec K20D1. We had a water leak that originated from the evaporator cover. Foam insulation on the cover caused a water build up. The water eventually penetrated one of the screw heads. Water would literally flow into the unit (and into the van) during heavy snow/rain.

Bottom line: Inspect the unit to ensure that no insulation covers the seam where the evaporator cover meets the unit. That caused the water build up. Also, ensure silicone is applied to all/all of the screws used to mount the evaporator cover (recommendation from Kingtec/this was not done at the factory).

To access the evaporator cover, you've got to remove the plastic cover on top of the entire unit. Use care as the plastic can be somewhat brittle.

Kingtec makes a great product and you'll love having a functional 12V A/C on board. Was in close communication with the Kingtec engineers so hopefully this is no longer a problem and everything will be nicely sealed. Just don't want someone else going through this.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:31 AM   #168

Momentum Upgrades

Momentum is well into the latest upgrades.
1. Roambuilt flatrack, shurshade isn’t installed yet.
2. 50”light bar and added lights at slider and rear.
3. The telescoping support on rear of rack ready for TIG and powder coating. This will lift the close to 100 lb spare and other heavy items rear of van. I’ll add a stock Harken or Lewmar 4:1 purchase and Wichard snap shackle.

The Lithionics BMS upgrade, Owlcam, battery compartment heater, Alpine head unit well underway as well.
Attached Thumbnails
D3F1349B-4EF3-42BE-A015-4631768EAB16.jpg   111F7A9E-C1FA-445D-8E16-4FA5DDA924C8.jpg   535E3D3E-6690-4B61-893A-37AF405B5068.jpg   CEBF1D7A-BA6B-4FB7-8AAF-C9553573BDEF.jpg  
Old 04-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #169

Nice!
I’m going to get the opportunity to see this van in person one of these days, looking forward to it!
Old 04-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #170

ditto! Looking forward to seeing it too!
FlaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote