Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #21

Spare Tire on ROAMBUILT Wheel for SMB Install

Having a ROAMBUILT wheel sent to SMB West, they will install the tire and modify the spare tire cage underneath the van if need be. The wheel and tire are slightly larger than their usual fit.

Tires will be BF Goodrich 275/70R17 Tire, All-Terrain T/A KO2

Having this completed at SMB during the build process eliminates the uncertainty of taking the van to Agile and finding out the spare won't fit underneath the van.

Agile will do the four main tires during their work.

Late change to this: Agile has spoken with Roambuilt and they will do the cage modification for the spare. Good to know they can make this happen, seems Roambuilt has done this before.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #22

Van Compass Reply on Ladder

Quick reply from Mark @ VC! That is a closer fit to the van body than the Aluminess ladder but I believe we're OK, even with ski boots.

Hey Alex,

We build our ladders closer to the body than Aluminess. We like to make our products as sleek as possible and high clearance. You use your ball of foot to climb ours. We don't really see it as a problem.

Thank you,

Mark Hesser

Van Compass LLC
947 A Innovation Way
Post Falls, ID 83854
805-391-4616
Mark@vancompass.com
Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #23

Van Compass Hi-Lift Mount on Ladder

This is a sweet setup! Mark Hesser sent me this pic in his reply on the ladder. I've asked if this can be incorporated onto our ladder.
Attached Thumbnails
Van Compass Hi-Lift Mount.jpg  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #24

Congratulations! My account has been messed up for a week: unable to open attachments or to post. Finally, I can tell you how happy I am to read all the details of your build. I am excited for you.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
This is a sweet setup! Mark Hesser sent me this pic in his reply on the ladder. I've asked if this can be incorporated onto our ladder.
That’s my van in the picture with the “sweet setup”. I have held off posting pictures because VC is finishing up the final bracket, it goes in the mail to me tomorrow and I wil finish things up upon receipt and post final pictures.

Mounting the HighLift next to the ladder works out really well, keeping it both out of the way and accessible.

Yes, the first step of the ladder is close to the side of the van, but it is not an issue. The VC ladder rungs are flat and much easier on the foot than a round rung, this from someone who works in a refinery and has climbeded a LOT of round rung ladders over the years. I am VERY happy with the VC ladder and with the fact that installation requires no attachment penetrations on the roof of the van. It is a well thought-out addition.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #26

Fitz,

Nice! Very appropriate since you steered me to the VC Rockers and ladder. Thanks for paving the way on this addition. Mark tells me this is the prototype and he expects to have it in production soon for my build.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #27

Spare Tire Cage - Roambuilt Wheel 275/70R17 Tire

This post clarifying from previous post. Agile Offroad is modifying the cage after discussion with Roambuilt, who has experience with this.

Bottom line if you want to leave your spare under the carriage is that a 275 size tire on a Roambuilt rim will fit, this from John Brindle at Agile.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #28

Fred Beckey

Not related to my build but anyone who is a NW climber has climbed a Beckey route and has his guides on their shelf. What an exceptional life.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/3....html?referer=
Old 10-31-2017, 10:29 PM   #29

Used to be a guide and taught climbing. Way too old now.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #30

Update on Lithionics Battery

Received the below thread from Brian today, quoted partially. While not definite it looks to be trending towards a much better lithium setup. Kudos to TomH for his extensive efforts on this:

"we may get the Lithium Ion thing figured out and be able to put in the battery that you actually want. The head of our Texas facility is visiting next week and we are going to work with him and RVIA to get official approval of the system that TomH was working on with Lithionics."
Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote