Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 12:30 AM   #21

The window coverings are the only thing I dislike about our Sportsmobile conversion. The fabric of those privacy curtains is nearly transparent, my husband stood in the middle of the van with the lights on and I could read the logo on his t-shirt. I put a lining on the rear window curtains and made two sets of magnetic covers for other windows but I wasn't happy with any of them. We use the fabric ones in the PH for blocking some light and small amount of warmth. We have the pull-down day and night shades and they are fine except for cold weather. I ordered the Arctic shades from Sportsmobile for the slider and rear windows. They weren't offered as an option at ordering time. The magnets are only covered by the foil (shows through the tinted windows) and the metal has frayed to expose sharp bits that have scraped the paint on the window frames. Graphite Grey shows the scratches, maybe a white van wouldn't show the scratches. They will be returned after only a few uses. I found covers made by https://xplroutfitters.weebly.com/shop.html They are beautiful and well made and fit! The windshield cover is the best!

LindaDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaDV View Post
The window coverings are the only thing I dislike about our Sportsmobile conversion. The fabric of those privacy curtains is nearly transparent, my husband stood in the middle of the van with the lights on and I could read the logo on his t-shirt. I put a lining on the rear window curtains and made two sets of magnetic covers for other windows but I wasn't happy with any of them. We use the fabric ones in the PH for blocking some light and small amount of warmth. We have the pull-down day and night shades and they are fine except for cold weather. I ordered the Arctic shades from Sportsmobile for the slider and rear windows. They weren't offered as an option at ordering time. The magnets are only covered by the foil (shows through the tinted windows) and the metal has frayed to expose sharp bits that have scraped the paint on the window frames. Graphite Grey shows the scratches, maybe a white van wouldn't show the scratches. They will be returned after only a few uses. I found covers made by https://xplroutfitters.weebly.com/shop.html They are beautiful and well made and fit! The windshield cover is the best!
I second Xploroutfitters shades. I have a full set in my van. Superb quality and they actually provide superior insulation. Sorry but the Sportsmobile "arctic shades" as they call them do little but provide privacy imo. They are paper thin.
Bajaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #23

Congratulations. I’m just miffed that it’s takes 2 years of waiting for one. It’s not like it’s a Bugatti.
greatwhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #24

Any idea if it's easy to retrofit the dimmer switch? I really wish I had that. Great build, and thanks for sharing!
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #25

Sorry, don't know if new dimmer can be retrofitted. Physically you should just have to cut a larger hole. But don't know if leds that were installed with standard switch are dimmable. Photo of one of Starr's leds is attached (galley & ceiling leds appear to be identical). Btw, the new dimmers dim the lights to about 1/4 (-2 stops) of full-on brightness. In a perfect world, I wish that they dimmed a little more (eg, another -1 stop).
Attached Thumbnails
A2E38B4B-3423-4A2B-A7B1-8B4554D96CA0.jpg  
rsamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsamco View Post
Sorry, don't know if new dimmer can be retrofitted. Physically you should just have to cut a larger hole. But don't know if leds that were installed with standard switch are dimmable. Photo of one of Starr's leds is attached (galley & ceiling leds appear to be identical). Btw, the new dimmers dim the lights to about 1/4 (-2 stops) of full-on brightness. In a perfect world, I wish that they dimmed a little more (eg, another -1 stop).
Thanks. Light looks identical to mine. Time to give SMB West a call....
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #27

RSAMCO, what was your thought process on the Van Compass Stage 6 versus Agile RIP suspension? Also, did you need to coordinate the Agile fuel tank location with SMB? Agile now has a new 48 gallon tank that they apparently locate under the driver and Jesus said not to have SMB put anything there. I've decided to go with the Sprinter after considering the Classic, GXVs, and EarthRoamers.
FlaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #28

FlaJoe, I'm in Europe for a month and don't have access to my detailed Starr notes...my recollection is that it was IMO pretty much a toss up between the two suspension upgrades but I went with VC because I found more positive reviews, especially by owners who I had "calibrated" by way of other van choices they had made. Re 2nd fuel tank, my 150S floorplan puts the grey water waste tank where Agile's 20g tank mounts, so not an option for Starr. With my floorplan, nothing goes in the 14g tank location except the SMB-W optional air compressor. I instead had Agile mount an ARB compressor under the hood.

2018 Sprinter 4x4 RB150S w/PH Lithium Build ("Starr Van")
Pictures of some Starr adventures (starting in 2019): https://rick.samcos.com/galleries/
rsamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #29
tlg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaJoe View Post
RSAMCO, what was your thought process on the Van Compass Stage 6 versus Agile RIP suspension? Also, did you need to coordinate the Agile fuel tank location with SMB? Agile now has a new 48 gallon tank that they apparently locate under the driver and Jesus said not to have SMB put anything there. I've decided to go with the Sprinter after considering the Classic, GXVs, and EarthRoamers.
FlaJoe,
The link below provides a good contrast/comparison of the VC and Agile suspension upgrades. Whatever you decide, both companies provide amazing products and top notch customer service. They will not disappoint. We had an Agile RIP on our Ford and run the full VC suspension package on our Sprinter. Extremely happy with both.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=61433
Old 05-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #30

Thanks tlg!
FlaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium, rb150s, starr