Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsamco View Post
FlaJoe, I'm in Europe for a month and don't have access to my detailed Starr notes...my recollection is that it was IMO pretty much a toss up between the two suspension upgrades but I went with VC because I found more positive reviews, especially by owners who I had "calibrated" by way of other van choices they had made. Re 2nd fuel tank, my 150S floorplan puts the grey water waste tank where Agile's 20g tank mounts, so not an option for Starr. With my floorplan, nothing goes in the 14g tank location except the SMB-W optional air compressor. I instead had Agile mount an ARB compressor under the hood.
Later clarification: the grey water tank's dump connection occupies portion of the Agile 20g tank location.

2018 Sprinter 4x4 RB150S w/PH Lithium Build ("Starr Van")
Pictures of some Starr adventures (starting in 2019): https://rick.samcos.com/galleries/
rsamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #32

Just curious, will Agile and SMB coordinate or is it on the owner? Thanks for your time!
FlaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:15 AM   #33

It was on me.

Pictures of some Starr adventures (starting in 2019): https://rick.samcos.com/galleries/
Old 07-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #34

Reducing shower water flow

Starr's Sportsmobile-installed outside shower's flow rate is 1.5 Gpm. While this is considered very low by normal standards, I find it quite high when you only have a 15 gal water tank that may be your only source of water for multiple days. So, I've been investigating ways to effectively reduce the shower's water consumption and have arrived at the following solution...

I purchased a Delta RP62734 1.5 Gpm Handshower Flow Regulator Washer, replaced its o-ring with a larger 9/32 x 5/32 x 1/16 o-ring (Ace Hardware #61 o-ring) and installed/inserted it in-line with the existing handheld-sprayer-to-hose gasket. This reduced the handheld sprayer's consumption down to 2/3 Gpm. However, the shower's emitted spray was then a little anemic. So I plugged every other sprayer emitter hole with an round wooden toothpick that had been inserted from the backside, broken off, and the frontside protruding point sanded down flush.

The result is a handheld sprayer with good spray pressure and only a 1/2 Gpm consumption rate!
Attached Thumbnails
APC_0595.jpg   APC_0596.jpg   APC_0597.jpg  

Old 07-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #35

I've been thinking about this for a bit, but it was low on my priority list. The flow reducer was too effective, correct? That was my plan, but perhaps I'll just go the toothpick route in the interim. Thanks for sharing!
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #36

The stock Delta flow reducer didn't do anything, which was expected since it is rated at 1.5 Gpm & the stock shower was already at 1.5 Gpm. I was hoping that installing a larger o-ring (covering more of the reducer's holes) would reduce the flow, & it did.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #37

Oh, I just realized that my post was ambiguous...I'm using both the Delta flow reducer AND toothpicks in my final solution. I did not try the toothpicks without the reducer.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #38

I think I save more water by having a handheld sprayer with the normal higher flow rate but then using it wisely (ie. 5-10 seconds to get wet, shut it off to soap up and then a quick but hard rinse in strategic places with the wand). We used to do this also in our tenting days with about 1 gallon of water hanging from a tree bag.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #39

Congrats on the new rig. Your write up along with Fitz will be a big help to anyone having a rig built. I really found a lot of value as I had our sprinter built out (not sportmobile- went with Exclusive Outfitters) the info he put out was supper helpful.

I went with the Agile complete RIP set up and totally happy huge difference. Both Van Compass and Agile are good companies. I finales with Agile based on local company and I am located in San Diego. Their service back up and advice has been great.

Enjoy the rig.
Vailcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #40

I have experience using a 1/2 gallon backpacking shower bag [see attached picture] and found that its average ~3/4 Gpm flow rate adequate, its spray pattern/coverage/pressure just barely acceptable when full (becoming too weak as bag empties), and its 1/2 gallon capacity just barely adequate for a cleansing shower (including shampoo). In any case, I found that I was able to easily use less water with its 3/4 Gpm flow than Starr's original 1.5 Gpm (aggressively using shutoff on both). So my goal in modifying Starr's shower was to basically emulate this backpacking shower. I will have Starr at the end of long, difficult roads for many days at a time, without access to any water (e.g., North Rim Grand Canyon or Grand Staircase/Escalante area). Anyway, Starr's modified sprayer has the targeted consumption rate and with great spray pattern & pressure -- in fact, I find showering with the modified sprayer to be just as enjoyable/effective as before the modification, even when water is (more) plentiful ... YMMV!

PS I still prefer a non-handheld shower when water conservation isn't mandatory (i.e., so both hands are free ). Now, if I could also have that option with Starr's sprayer...
Attached Thumbnails
showerBag.jpg  

Tags
lithium, rb150s, starr