Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

2wd Sprinter with AT tires

Has anyone here set up their 2wd Sprinter with larger all-terrain tires and ventured off the pavement? How did it go? It would be great to see some photos too.

ccw3432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #2

I hear crickets...

I was on the fence about going with 2wd or 4wd for a new purchase. We decided to go for it and ordered a 4x4 Sprinter Sportsmobile last week!

I'm finally replacing my 2wd Vanagon with the Sprinter. The 2wd Vanagon did pretty well on the easier 4x4 roads. With the high clearance, engine over the drive wheels, and some BFG AT tires it could get to some great spots although it made me a little nervous at times. It definitely had it's limitations but it got us to some wonderful places. I'm not sure the 2wd Sprinter would do as well off road as the 2wd Vanagon. Additionally I'd like to get just a little further out with better piece of mind so we went wit the 4x4. Not having to chain up in the snow is another big benefit.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #3

Good call!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #4

Which of the three shops are you using for the build and what timeframe did they give you?
Congratulations!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Which of the three shops are you using for the build and what timeframe did they give you?
Congratulations!
We ordered from West. They estimated 10 months for the arrival of the van, and then on to the conversion from there.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw3432 View Post
Has anyone here set up their 2wd Sprinter with larger all-terrain tires and ventured off the pavement? How did it go? It would be great to see some photos too.
We have a 2006 tall and long with AT tires -- Michelin LTX 225-75-16 -- and have driven the van extensively off pavement. We've gone through small creeks and along Canadian and US Forest Service roads and two-tracks with great results.

I struggled with not having a 4wd Sprinter, but in the end have decided that the van will go where we need it to go, and if there are tracks more challenging then we will walk.

See: 2 -3 Years Around North America - Expedition Portal
for pictures and a description of our road trip.
Umnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #7

I am in the early planning stages as well and trying to decide on 4x2 or 4x4, will want to get off beaten path, and fs roads to BLM land camping and so on, not so much or at all hardcore 4 wheeling unless I take a wrong turn!

I'm not big on propane to heat and don't want to cook inside unless to microwave or heat water for coffee. So a diesel furnace appeals. I don't like having to deal with DEF so I was thinking of going gas with a transit and ecoboost engine, but no factory 4x4 yet, but conversions are done for about 13k I hear.

I'm not ruling out diesel sprinter by any means, anyway sorry to ramble, this will be my retirement travel rig, penthouse top for sure, to travel all over 48 and alaska, Boondocking, and campgrounds as well. Thoughts, and comments welcomed, that's how you learn right?
nicodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #8

4x2 has been perfect for us on those types of roads. No problems on BLM land and Forest Service roads, even where the tracks were moderately rutted. I appreciate Sportsmobile preserving the full clearance of the van by not installing any compartments or fiberglass below the axles like a lot of Class B companies do. The stock tires have also been fine, though I know there is a mud/snow factory option, and then of course after-market.

Can't really speak to a diesel heater since we don't have any climate control in the back of the van. A cheap 110v space heater works great in campgrounds, and I've been using a 12v mattress warmer plus blankets when away from power. If you're doing serious cold weather camping, I advise against the penthouse. The chill gets at you from all sides and the canvas is terrible insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0364.jpg   IMG_0399.jpg  
Ned5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodee View Post

I'm not big on propane to heat and don't want to cook inside unless to microwave or heat water for coffee. So a diesel furnace appeals.
We've been using our Espar heater a lot in the high desert and, last week, at the Grand Canyon. It works really well and doesn't take a lot of fuel.

see 2 -3 Years Around North America - Expedition Portal
Umnak is offline   Reply With Quote