Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #21

I had a 2005 V10 E350 RB converted to 4wd by Quadvan. I thought the ride was fine over the 8 years I drove and enjoyed the van. It had an SMB top and DIY interior. I went places with it that honestly scared me. It never failed.
In 2016 I bought an off the shelf 4wd Sprinter cargo van and spent about 18 months converting it. It weighs about 8500#. I added the Van Compass suspension package after realizing I wasn't happy with the ride on rough surfaces. BIG difference. I love the ride. The stock seats are fine and the visibility from the cockpit is superior to the E350. I have yet to challenge the 4wd but recently used it often while on Canadian back roads. I am encouraged to hear comments from other Sprinter owners who have put their van to the test off road. I hope to have that opportunity this coming year. Overall I am completely satisfied with my van in every regard except the small fuel tank!
Chris and Ruth

07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites View Post
am completely satisfied with my van in every regard except the small fuel tank!
Aero tanks offers three different auxiliary fuel tanks for the Sprinter. One on the left side next to the OEM tank (20 gal), one on the right side near the sliding door (14 gal), and one in the OEM spare tire location (I think 26 gal, but not sure-and you have to move the spare, although it looks like yours is already on the rear). If Aero installs the side tanks themselves, they drill through the interior of the van. If you have Agile Offroad install the Aero side tanks, they sneak the pipe up into the wheel well without penetrating the van wall. Not sure where the port ends up for the spare tire location tank.

I saw a Sprinter at SMB West that was in for service. The owner had had Agile install both the left and right aux tanks, giving the rig an extra 34 gal. of fuel capacity. Several people on the forum have an Aero aux tank, usually installed by Agile. I am getting the left side tank on mine.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #23

Thanks for info on aux tanks. Unfortunately those spaces are now occupied by my battery banks and gray water tank. I carried 10 gal of extra fuel on the Canada trip but never had to use it. Fortunately the Sprinter gets around 16 mpg avg so I expect I’m safe for 350 miles. I top off every time before heading off road.
Chris and Ruth
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote