Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2018, 01:30 AM   #11

I drew up the floorpan I wanted and gave Brian a list of 6 or 7 different fresh water tanks that could fit inside a couple of possible locations. He seemed open to ordering what would work. I think SMB will do most custom things you want as long as they don't violate their accreditations with MB and RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association-voluntary membership group that sets safety standards-RVIA approved rigs get better insurance rates for you). Ford allows SMB to do all kinds of suspension, brake, etc. upgrades to the classic with parts designed for F-550 trucks, Dana axles, etc. Mercedes won't allow that stuff, but VC and AO can do it afterwards because they don't need any approval from MB.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #12

Garage
It’s worth talking to van specialties in portland. They will build whatever you want and build quality is higher than sportsmobile. Get in line most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
one) I know it is subjective, but did you opt for the $2,000 MB “Driving Assistance Package”?

two) what MB options are you glad you got? (or unhappy with)
1. I'm not a fan of cars making their own decisions ("I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that"), so we skipped all the driver assist options. In retrospect, I sort of wish I had gotten the parking assist stuff, as I still find it hard to know exactly where the edges of the van are, and I've come real close to backing into a tree just repositioning in my own driveway! The back-up camera is not perfect, especially when it's dark and fogged up.

2. Nick at SMB-West didn't recommend the heated windshield, but we got it anyways and are glad we did. In bad weather (we've seen a lot of it so far) the dash heater barely makes a dent in frost or fog on the giant front window, but as soon as we hit the button for the window heater, it clears right up.

And of course, as cheap luxuries go, you can't beat heated seats in cold weather. And they gotta swivel, that's essential. We swivel the passenger seat every time we camp, sometimes the driver's seat.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
It’s worth talking to van specialties in portland. They will build whatever you want and build quality is higher than sportsmobile. Get in line most likely.
One thing to think about is that some insurance companies look at whether the upfitter is listed as a MB Certified Master Upfitter and also whether or not they are RVIA approved. If the upfitter has those credentials, some insurance companies will give you better rates. YMMV, but it's something you might want to consider. SMB has Ford's permission to do tons of changes to the base vehicle, but MB not very much.

Hey, vandiesel-we just moved across the river from you-edge of Camas and Vancouver.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewInSeattle View Post
1. I'm not a fan of cars making their own decisions ("I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that"), so we skipped all the driver assist options.
My first instinct is to agree with that. OTOH, I've heard a number of people say that wind gusts can have pronounced effects on these tall vans and the electronics do a great job of mitigating that. In fact, everything I read about the driver assist was positive, so we decided to go with it. Electronic stabilization systems have come a long way. I didn't believe those Segway scooters were actually as stable as claimed until I got a chance to try to knock one over. The computerized gyroscopes and actuators are so fast and precise that I couldn't make the thing budge a millimeter with fast shoves. I used to think the idea of a rocket flying backwards and landing was so counterintuitive as to be absurdly impossible. Elon Musk is doing it on a regular basis now thanks to the same kinds of technology. Still, it does seem spooky.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Thanks much - I'll give them a call.....

however they are 14+ hours drive from LA, while Sportsmobile West is about 3.5 hours drive....

I have read that visiting the build can be a very good thing to help make sure any mistakes are caught early...... Sportsmobile West would be much much much more doable to visit at any time (even 3 times) than van specialties in portland...... so that factors into it.

john
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #17

My only concern with a 23’ van is some tight spots in parks are limited to 20’.
Ferries charge extra fees for vehicles over 20’.

As far as I know these are the only exceptions for the longer van.

for extra stealth. Put a sign on that says “ John’s Plumbing”
DrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
My only concern with a 23’ van is some tight spots in parks are limited to 20’.
Ferries charge extra fees for vehicles over 20’.

As far as I know these are the only exceptions for the longer van.

for extra stealth. Put a sign on that says “ John’s Plumbing”
All good ideas... thanks. :-)

as another option -

I asked a wise pal - what business would no one ever want to break into the van? and he said MOBILE DOCUMENT SHREDDING

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote