Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Can it be done?
It's not do-able in the regular body, even with the high top. 1 11.11%
You need some major adjustment(s), but it can be done. 1 11.11%
You are on the right track. 3 33.33%
You're there. Just the details left. 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #11

Re: A motorcycle inside a RB - Critics Welcome

I think I will add A/C for the pupper. I couldn't deal with it, if something went wrong.

To have A/C, do I need a generator or can they run off battery?

WeLikeWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLikeWheels
I think I will add A/C for the pupper. I couldn't deal with it, if something went wrong.

To have A/C, do I need a generator or can they run off battery?
Generator, and it has to adequately sized to both start and run the AC.

Herb
Old 09-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #13

You need the 170 wheelbase to do what you want to do, or put the motorcycle on the back in some sort of rack. The boxes fit in the drawing but the reality is a lot different. These vans are not that wide and you will constantly bumping into things. AC is a problem best resolved by a fan since as noted you need a generator or shorepower to run it. I have found that the van AC works well when driving or idling. Also as noted growing plants in a vehicle would not go well. I would also reconsider the bath compartment since it takes a big chunk out of your primary living space and may not be used as often as you think. There are things that probably cannot be done such as installing an inverter directly over the batteries without room for wiring, switches, etc. You will be happier, I think, by just going with the 170 from the start. Some EB layouts are a much better fit for your plans and will be less expensive in the end. I do not think any Sprinter with water and waste water fittings can ever be very "stealthy". Good luck with your design. bill
Wsgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #14

Here is the floorplan with the outline of the motorcycle added, to give closer approximation of the actual spacing.
Attached Thumbnails
SprinterRBhightop2.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #15

It looks possible.

But, I'd stack some boxes up and try pushing the bike up a ramp and between those boxes to see how doable it really is. Looks very tight, both to get the bike in and to attach tiedowns.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #16

The fridge will pop open on moderate stops.

I'm not sure what the vertical garden is, however don't underestimate the space the front seat consumes in anything other than an upright forward position. That includes spinning the seat.

The square table position doesn't look possible with a modern console.

Your awning window crosses the side barn doors, so without reading I'm assuming you have a sliding door.

Consider access to the side storage units when the bike is in place- nothing like needing a pair of socks by the footpeg and having to move your cycle out to get them. If the forward parts are tanks and plumbing, access to the back and/or a mini pantry type slide might help. Include top access as well.

I'd question the full shower/marine toilet. You can get further with a slide out portable toilet and outside shower. For example above the porta-potty space you could fit a fridge and microwave, using the entire vertical space as the full shower would do.

I agree with mocking up the interior with boxes and masking tape, and placing the motorcycle.

Overall I think you're not trying- I mean really, just ONE bike?

Look forward to photos!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #17

I tried out the “box” experiment in my trailer. The result: it would be too impractical. So now on to “take 2.” This attempt is essentially a modification of the Lopes 55 to fit into the RB.

It will have a partitioned garage and living areas and a bed above the partition. This will alleviate concerns about fumes, as well as, allow for a “homey” living area.

I also shortened the depth of shelves on one side, so that the shelves don’t extend further than the wheel well and thus will not take any needed width from the garage floor plan. The motorcycle will be moved over so that the right footpeg will be just clearing the wheel well. To maximize space, the new design will require that the motorcycle be backed in and held only with tie downs, eliminating the wheel chock from the first draft. Shifting the motorcycle will allow space for cabinet doors and drawers in the garage storage unit.

In regards to heating/air conditioning, I don’t want a generator. I a “chili dog” system may be just what I need to maintain temperature for the little monkey. There will also be a fan in the garage and a fan in the “house.” I also have an electric cube heater to help in the cooler weather.
In order to be able to fit in a standard parking spot, compromise is required. My compromise includes giving up my garden and the shower. Also the bed’s length is a bit shorter than I’d prefer. On a tall day I’m 5’4,” so I think it will be fine.

One upgrade I was able to make was to move up to the 4cf Fridge, which will now be located under the bed, but still faces toward the front of the vehicle. Also, gray water will be moved to the under carriage.

Drawings are quick and measurements are rough estimates. A lot of details are missing and will need to be figured into the design but this is general concept take 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Passenger Side View.jpg   drivers side wall.jpg   floorplan view from top.jpg  
Old 09-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #18

2 more drawings:
Attached Thumbnails
view from cab.jpg   View From Rear.jpg  
Old 09-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #19

This 2nd layout looks like you have better clearance around the bike. Are you planning to push the bike into place from the rear using a ramp? If so you might want to practice that and see if pushing the bike "in reverse" works well. I've pushed dirt bikes in reverse a couple of time and found it difficult to keep things heading where I wanted.

Howard
Howard70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard70
This 2nd layout looks like you have better clearance around the bike. Are you planning to push the bike into place from the rear using a ramp? If so you might want to practice that and see if pushing the bike "in reverse" works well. I've pushed dirt bikes in reverse a couple of time and found it difficult to keep things heading where I wanted.

Howard
Yes. Planning on pushing in reverse. It's not ideal, but it really seems to be the best way to manage the space.