Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #1

Agile auxiliary fuel tanks

I’m looking for anyone who has installed one of Agile’s auxiliary or replacement tanks. The stock fuel capacity is one of my only major disappointments with my SMB, and I’m thinking of adding capacity. Looking for any downsides other than the obvious useability and and weight issues. Thanks!

barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #2

I got the 28 gal version for a sprinter. Upside is all fuel goes into OEM fuel filler and my range is nearly doubled. Downside is very expensive and transferring fuel between tanks is slow.
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #3

I bought my replacement tank through Agile and it has been nothing but upside! MUCH improved range that I am grateful for on every trip.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:07 AM   #4

Garage
I also bought my E-series replacement 40G tank from Agile. Very happy with it!

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #5

Auxiliary or replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlo View Post
I got the 28 gal version for a sprinter. Upside is all fuel goes into OEM fuel filler and my range is nearly doubled. Downside is very expensive and transferring fuel between tanks is slow.
Would you do an extra tank again or full replacement? Seems like this might be a cost vs. convenience decision, but I don't know if there are any other considerations. Thanks
barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #6

Other than cost I think the new tank from agile for sprinters is a no brainer if you can take on the extra weight. I like that the gauges are supposed to work, no tank transfer issues, no additional fill hoses. Seems super simple but super expensive.
SCTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #7

Agile 14 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank

I added the 14 gallon passenger's side auxiliary tank, details are found in my build thread. See posts 613-616 on page 62, posts 646-649 on page 65, and posts 682-684 & 688 on page 69. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-16293-62.html

We used to carry an extra 10 gallons of fuel in two containers on top of the swing arm mounted Aluminess box in the back. I could feel that extra weight back there and I didn't care for it. We still carry the containers and they will get used on occasion, but definitely not on a regular basis.

The downside of the passenger side tank is that the fill nozzle is located on the passenger's side, which means that the van needs to be moved when filling both tanks at once. This isn't a big deal unless the station is full and cars are lined up (think Costco), just pick your time and location when filling both tanks.

I originally thought I'd leave the auxiliary tank empty most of the time, but that has not proven to be the case. I can't feel the extra weight when driving and the additional peace of mind is well worth having.

When I transfer fuel I typically do so when driving, thus the time it takes is a non-issue. FYI, the pump is rated to move the fuel at 0.83 gpm.

I suggest you give consideration to the bottom profile of the tank and your use case for the van when deciding which is the right tank for you. A smooth, strong bottom that could be drug over rocks below was a prime consideration in my selection. I've seen the bottom side of the larger (and very expensive) replacement tank and it would not be for me.

All in all, this modification gets a big thumbs up!
Old 01-26-2020, 07:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post

When I transfer fuel I typically do so when driving, thus the time it takes is a non-issue. FYI, the pump is rated to move the fuel at 0.83 gpm.
Fitz is correct that the rate of transferring fuel on the fly is not really an issue, except that it's difficult to tell how much has transferred due to the fact that the fuel guage is mounted on the outboard side of the driver seat box and not readily visible. I've thought about mounting a secondary guage where I can see it while driving but haven't gotten around to it.

My fuel transfer rate was faster before I installed the dual fuel pump filters. The original install came without the filters as I assume I was one of the first to get the aux tank. Since then the filters are now standard so I thought it was a good idea to add them, especially since it is recommended directly on the pump.

Photo from Agile website:

JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlo View Post
Fitz is correct that the rate of transferring fuel on the fly is not really an issue, except that it's difficult to tell how much has transferred due to the fact that the fuel guage is mounted on the outboard side of the driver seat box and not readily visible. I've thought about mounting a secondary guage where I can see it while driving but haven't gotten around to it.

My fuel transfer rate was faster before I installed the dual fuel pump filters. The original install came without the filters as I assume I was one of the first to get the aux tank. Since then the filters are now standard so I thought it was a good idea to add them, especially since it is recommended directly on the pump.
I added a second gauge on the inboard side of the driver seat box with a toggle switch to control which gauge is active. The driver can't see it while driving but the passenger can, thus it serves my purpose. Pictures are in my build thread.

My install came with a single filter on the suction side, see picture below:

Old 01-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
]We used to carry an extra 10 gallons of fuel in two containers on top of the swing arm mounted Aluminess box in the back. I could feel that extra weight back there and I didn't care for it.

Interesting. I carry up to 15 gallons on top of the Aluminess box, in addition to a Honda generator, chain saw and a bunch of other stuff inside the box. I’ve never noticed the extra weight, although I do worry about the hinges, so I had additional gussets added and avoid opening the swing out when all three cans are full.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote