Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

AGILE Rip Kit Costs

I'll likely be doing the AGILE kit(90% sure) but I'm trying to wrap my head around the cost of this kit?! Holy cow, it ain't cheap. Starts at $3600 before installation? What exactly is this giving you above and beyond their RIP kit for the E350(except some serious street cred, haha) which warrants the price to be $2000 more? If the starting price is $3600 what are the upgrade to the kit that will bump the price up and to what?

Are they custom valved specifically for your specific VAN's weight?

Is the price based on the fact that it's a Mercedes? I know Agile is very highly regarded around here but...

Anyone know what the equivalent Van Compass package is to the Agile?

Having put on fully adjustable Fox Suspension on my FJ Cruiser at a cost of about $2000, this kit seems a little more than over priced.

I'm 90% already planning on this but would like to understand better from actual users before calling up Agile for the install.

And thoughts on this kit vs the Van Compass Kit would be greatly appreciated.

rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #2

I don't remember paying more than $2000 for a full RIP kit but mine is a ford van.

#vanlife gets expensive with those Mercedes vans huh?
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #3

Yeah, I know. I got quoted $1600 for the full kit for my e350 last year.

and the thing is that 3600 price isn't even for the top of the line fully adjustable shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
I don't remember paying more than $2000 for a full RIP kit but mine is a ford van.

#vanlife gets expensive with those Mercedes vans huh?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #4

Both Agile and Van Compass custom valve the shocks based on the weights you send them.

It sounds like you have already spoken to John or Jesus at Agile. They are easy to speak with, as are Mark or Rob at Van Compass.

Van Compass pricing is on their web site, easy to find there. https://www.vancompass.com/collectio...inter-4x4-2015

Edit: Here is the link to Agile, just to have both in the same place:
https://agileoffroad.com/rip-kit-mercedes-sprinter/

There are a couple of good threads over on the Sprinter Forum that will answer your questions and that are a good read, I suggest you start with these:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=61433
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=72245

Both kits are represented here on the forum, owners of each are happy. I strongly suggest you get a ride in each before you decide. You don't give your location, if you are near the Bay Area in CA drop me a line and come on over.

The ride improvement is substantial and it is (my opinion) money well spent.

Determine what your goals are. Are you looking for additional height or is ride quality without raising the van much what you are after? What size of tires do you want to run? Adjustable rear shock are great if your loaded conditions vary or if you plan to use the van off road much, but the upgrade might not be worth it to you if you stay on pavement with a consistent loaded weight. Review the links above and then we all can have a conversation regarding the differences. Looking forward to it!
Old 02-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #5

Thanks Fitz. I'm in Oakland so close to you.

I don't doubt for a second the improvements that I will get with either setup. I'm a firm believer in a proper suspension setup as one of the first upgrades on a vehicle that you should perform, both sports cars and offroad.

I'm more trying to understand why the kit is so expensive, and is that extra cost justified? And specifically what in the Sprinter RIP kit justifies the$2K premium over their e350 kit.

Relative to some top of the line full Fox setups for non vans like my fj cruiser i used to own which had even nicer shocks, the price of the RIP kit is a little puzzling. But maybe I'm missing something???

also, didn't realize the VC kit was also custom valved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Both Agile and Van Compass custom valve the shocks based on the weights you send them.

It sounds like you have already spoken to John or Jesus at Agile. They are easy to speak with, as are Mark or Rob at Van Compass.

Van Compass pricing is on their web site, easy to find there. https://www.vancompass.com/collectio...inter-4x4-2015

There are a couple of good threads over on the Sprinter Forum that will answer your questions and that are a good read, I suggest you start with these:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=61433
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=72245

Both kits are represented here on the forum, owners of each are happy. I strongly suggest you get a ride in each before you decide. You don't give your location, if you are near the Bay Area in CA drop me a line and come on over.

The ride improvement is substantial and it is (my opinion) money well spent.

Determine what your goals are. Are you looking for additional height or is ride quality without raising the van much what you are after? What size of tires do you want to run? Adjustable rear shock are great if your loaded conditions vary or if you plan to use the van off road much, but the upgrade might not be worth it to you if you stay on pavement with a consistent loaded weight. Review the links above and then we all can have a conversation regarding the differences. Looking forward to it!
Old 02-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #6

Also, goals, I don't think i need much ride height increase. I'll likely run 265's/70/17's on my method wheels.

I like to hit up Death Valley, Saline Springs area, Will be doing more trips down to Baja, Moab etc. nothing crazy in it but like to hit areas that require a 4x4 with rough-ish roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post

Old 02-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #7

I don't think a full leaf spring pack is included in the E350 kit. The Sprinter kits come with a full leaf spring pack.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #8

Fitz that first link you replied with at the sprinter forum is very informative and you've got me seriously considering the Van Compass kit now. Which Stage Striker kit do you have on yours?

I wonder if anyone has mixed and matched with Front VC and rear Agile setups?
Old 02-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #9

I was fully prepared to spend significant money to improve the ride quality of my SMB Sprinter. I first ordered some tuned FOX rear shocks (pretty cheap) and installed them myself in about 30 minutes and was so satisfied with the result that I havdn’t really felt the need to spend more on upgraded springs, etc.. I didn’t need to raise the van height or use bigger tires.

Depending on your goals, you don’t necessarily need to spend a furtune on this.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #10

rean1mator,

I started out with the Van Compass Stage 3 and am now running the Stage 6 kit. I have had 265/70/17 KO2's mounted on Method wheels since day one. I am contemplating moving up to 285's, but at 35k the KO2's still have quite a bit of life left in them. I am very happy with the Stage 6 kit.

Agile's kit will raise the van 1 to 2 inches and (because of the coil over spring) requires wheel spacers. Also, John recommends no more than 275's. With Van Compass you can do the suspension mods with or without the lift and spacers don't become a consideration until you start thinking in terms of 295's or larger. If you haven't seen it, look to this link on the Van Compass site for tire size information with their various configurations: https://vancompass.com/pages/frequently-asked-questions

As I said previously, both kits are represented here on the forum, and owners of each are happy. I am aware of another kit on the market, simply put, I would give it no consideration. Van Compass and Agile both provide quality, they just go about it differently. The two posts I linked above provide plenty of information and opinions, hopefully you will find enough there to help you to understand the differences in order to allow you to make an informed decision that best fits your use case.

As to your original question of why are the kits so expensive? Look at what you are getting, think of the development time and energy it took to get there, and know that with either choice you are going to be dealing with reputable vendors who will be there when you need them. I consider it money well spent.