Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #1

Air ride suspension

Anyone out there heard of a sprinter with an air ride suspension? Limited info on the internet. No reviews, and only a few retailers sell the parts with a large price difference. New to the idea, my mechanic was suggesting it as I showed him the van compass packages and it got me looking and wondering. I am ready to do some improvements on the suspension as our last trip took us down Hole in the rock road in Utah and the washboards ate us alive. 12 miles into a expected 25 mile trip on the road and the TPS sytem went off. We pumped up the tire and left with our tail between our legs. I couldn’t keep up a normal speed and 2 wheel drive cars were passing us. Our 4x4 Gypsy van is now called the turtle. Thanks for any feedback. May you all have a healthy and peaceful last month of a very crazy year.

salim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #2

What are you asking about, OEM sprinters equipped with air ride or aftermarket kits? There are at least two kits that im aware of for the rear suspension.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #3

Air ride suspension

This would be an aftermarket air ride suspension for the rear or both. I have been looking at the Van Compass kit and showing it to my mechanic. He asked about air ride suspension and I had no idea about its pros and cons. No reviews online and limited info. A price range of 4500-1500 with no clear difference.
salim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #4

I cant comment on the sprinter kits because i know nothing about the sprinter stuff. I converted my 2005 E350 using a Reyco/Granning air suspension conversion kit.
Would i do it again.... not sure that i would, it was alot of money just for the kit. As far as the ride quality goes, it made a small improvement but weighing cost versus benefit, i cant say it was worth it. Its been on my rig for about 4 years now and the air compressor is starting to get weak. The air compressor alone is $1200 to $1700 depending on who you buy it from.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #5

ARV's Air suspension gets very good reviews. I think it cost about $10,000.

jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

What is your suspension now and what does your rig weigh? What was your air pressure on the washboard? I’m guessing you are a heavy van on a stock suspension...
Old 12-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #7

Keddleman has a kit. I also think SprinterParts does too.
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #8

If you didn’t try airing tires down first, do that. It can make an huge improvement on washboards. Full air ride as the only suspension scares me.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #9
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
IDK.....I’d look again at the Fox shock package from van compass or Agile offroad before I started down the path of trying to retrofit a complicated and expensive air ride system, the tuned Fox shocks make a huge difference, many here can confirm.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #10

Yep, as previous said, nothing will beat tuned shocks and springs for your application. Either Agile (what we have) or a Van Compass package is the ticket. I would not consider air suspension as it will feel bouncy.
Also when hitting the dirt air down 15 or 20 psi to start and stick it in 4WD for best control.
GL
Tahosrfr is offline   Reply With Quote