Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #1

Anyone with SMB-W Initial Orders from June-October 2017?

We placed our Sprinter order with SMB-W in September 2017. The van has finally arrived, the build details are complete, deposits paid, etc. As of right now, we don't have a firm start date. The placeholder date is mid-February, but this doesn't seem very solid.

So, I'm looking for others who ordered in the months before us to see status. Just trying to understand where things really stand with production.

If you are willing to share, I'd love to see:

Original Order Date
Production Start Date (actual or expected if in future)

For anyone interested, when we ordered in September 2017, our production start date was communicate as September 6, 2018. So, we are looking at 5-6+ months delays from the original SMB commitment. Probably worth considering when ordering.

barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #2

We order our Sprinter 4x4 from SMB-W February 2, 2017. It has not arrived.
north40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #3

That’s wild. You folks have more patience than I would have. Do the other SMB locations have such long lead times?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #4

north40, that's crazy. Was your order something very unusual? I thought that MB did a big build over the summer to get SMB all caught up for the 2018s. Ours was part of this build, although I think we are close to the end of the line but it's hard to tell exactly.
barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:01 AM   #5

Regular 144" low roof Sprinter 4x4. I was told, in late November, that about 1/2 of an order for 120 vehicles had arrived. Our vehicle was not in that group. They said that others were arriving almost daily.

Good news is that our design has matured as we watched build videos and had great responses to our questions on this forum and from SMB-W.
north40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #6

I previously owned a SMB Sprinter 144. When I started scoping my next van, the long lead time at SMB-W pushed me to look around for other options. Momentum Vans in Arlington, WA was just the answer. They produced a superior product in 4 months, start to finish.
askmhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmhk View Post
I previously owned a SMB Sprinter 144. When I started scoping my next van, the long lead time at SMB-W pushed me to look around for other options. Momentum Vans in Arlington, WA was just the answer. They produced a superior product in 4 months, start to finish.

Another good outfitter of note, thanks. I've really liked my SMB West product, as I do the modification work they are currently doing, but the lead time for us was twenty months, from order to delivery. You definitely have to be patient.

There are a lot of great outfitters out there now. A couple more good PNW outfitters of note:
1. Freedom Vans in Bellingham WA (my home town)
2. Nomadz Vans in Vancouver BC
3. Benchmark Vans in Portland
4. And of course Outside Vans. But they have pricing that just boggles the mind. Agile Offroad just worked on one of their vans and the total amount spent exceeded $300,000.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #8

My build from start to finish lasted 22 months . Most of the time was spent trying to get the van that I ordered, SMW blames a shortage of vans. Brian Told me they only make 10,000 units a year 4x4?? Anyway the actual build time took three months . What an adventure I am happy it is over now.
Lily747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #9

I had Exclusive Outfitters in Placentia , Ca . They found the rig with 4x , installed the poptop and complete buildout (aluminum) cabinets- solar- complete 4 months total. I have had therig now 2 years and not one problem with anything, there are other options.
Vailcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:23 AM   #10

Deposit made Dec. 2016. No Sprinter arrival in sight.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote