Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2022, 07:05 AM   #1

Aux Fuel Tank

Are there readers out there with Sprinter auxiliary fuel tank experience from a Texas vendor? What is the ball park sort of cost? How does it work? We are still working on replacing our current unit and have always considered the fuel capacity as a downside.

maurshir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 10:35 PM   #2

I installed Agile Off Road's 28 gallon spare tire aux tank and it was fairly easy to do with two people in about 2-4 hours. I posted a video of the install in case you want to take it on yourself--it's fairly easy.
https://youtu.be/N-gsnqL-j3Q
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:15 AM   #3

Now that S&B makes a reasonably priced ($1,550) dropin 47 gallon replacement tank for the older and current Sprinters it seems like this is the way to go compared to an aux tank which needs transfer switches, new plumbing and a secondary fill port in the wheel well etc. Here is a video on it:

I live near Van Land who made the video and they quoted me 8 hours of shop time for the install. Uses the original plumbing and sending unit so the dash fuel gauge still works.
Beached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:23 PM   #4

Check out Hodakaguy’s thread over on Expo. I think he just did the swap DIY. Starts with post #354 here.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beached View Post
Now that S&B makes a reasonably priced ($1,550) dropin 47 gallon replacement tank for the older and current Sprinters it seems like this is the way to go compared to an aux tank which needs transfer switches, new plumbing and a secondary fill port in the wheel well etc.

I live near Van Land who made the video and they quoted me 8 hours of shop time for the install. Uses the original plumbing and sending unit so the dash fuel gauge still works.
If a single larger tank was available before I installed the Agile Aux 28-gallon tank, I would've likely done that. It only takes about 2-3 hours for 1-2 people to lower the factory tank, remove the sender, and replace it all. I posted a video on my channel of it: https://youtu.be/N-gsnqL-j3Q

Point of correction to the above: The Agile 28-gallon aux tank only uses a transfer pump between it and the factory tank and not a second filler port--so same filler for both tanks (with transfer pump running). Of course, you could also add an auxiliary tank along with the larger replacement factory tank and have range well over 1,000 miles.
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:46 PM   #6

I have a 2016 4x4 with Agile Rip. I was considering the agile aux tank. Then the 47 gal SB tank came out. I ordered from Agile and had them install. Fits great and the depth alights with my RB water tank along the driver side so max below the rig is about 1 1/4”. No issues.
Vailcomp is offline   Reply With Quote