Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #11

Re: Awning for Penthouse Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
"cons" of this method:
I should add one more... but should seem kinda obvious... it's not just a 2 minute matter of twisting some rod to extend a preloaded contraption from your roof.... you need to have a place to store it and either be really really tall, an acrobatic climber, or use some assistive device to get it setup. We do the latter by means of a ladder (telescoping) that we keep in the van (comes in handy for other things). Having 2 people helps too but I can manage by myself in about as much time (less time spent arguing about it! )

2008 Sprinter RB50 PH top
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #12

The awning that SB is designing for the Sprinter PH is not going to be a roll out it will detach and will have to be stored within the van. I'll send pictures and prices as soon as I get the information from SB.
flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #13

Forgive my impetuousness, but any word from SportsMobile yet on the awning for the PH sprinter?
Tessa
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #14

I have given up on SMB comming up with an awning for the PH Sprinter and have requested that they return my deposit. Which they have now done.
flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #15

I've got an awning I'm happy with that I bought from a company called Shady Boy out of Canada. Its super lightweight and easy retrofit. The owner made up some brackets to fit the Sprinter and they stay out of the way of the PH. The awning has a few poles that you need to insert but setup is quite easy. There should be a photo in my gallery if you're interested.

I was really happy with the purchase. Much cheaper than a Fiamma. Simple plus-nuts to secure the awning to the van. Lightweight so no concerns about tear-out. Looks great- case looks like it was made to fit over the Sprinter door.

Will
playVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #16

Awning for Penthouse Sprinter

I have a sprinter ordered with the penthouse top and am looking at awning options. I understand that a Fiamma awning cannot be attached to the side of the roof. Can a Fiamma awning be attached to the Thule roof rack bars on the top of the penthouse? Their catalog has a bracket showing such an attachment.

I know it will be way up there with the top raised but is that a problem?
canoe4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #17

UPDATE!

The brackets have been designed and tested. They are being sent to powder coating and will be back soon for installation. I will follow up with some pictures shortly.

-Jonny
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #18

Can't wait for pics!
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #19

me too. Went camping last weekend and had endless downpours. bummer to have to sit indoors or sit in soaked camp chairs. I would have taken some really long ropes to rig up a tarp between trees and van at this mostly brush campsite. thank goodness we had a video to play in the ken wood gps!
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #20

Flagstaff,

Have you ordered your SMB Sprinter yet or were you waiting for a development like this?

Good luck.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote