Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #1

Awning for Penthouse Sprinter

New Member, first post. I,ve driven a Dodge Sportsmobile for many years. Ready to purchase a Sprinter RB with the penthouse. Problem is, it doesn't come with a awning option. The awning is a must for me when coming in from out of the rain and providing shade on hot day. I just can't see camping without one. Have any of you solved this issue? Alan at SMW mentiond a parawing but I would like to see pictures of how that might attach to the van. Any advice would be appriciated.

flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #2

Re: Awning for Penthouse Sprinter

I don't know offhand what the lip of a Sprinter roof looks like, especially with the PH. If there is nothing to grab on to you might have to do custom body mounts.

*edit: that is unless you want to go through the PH side like LenS
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #3

I haven't been on the forum for a while, but I had the same question several months ago. My solution was the Kelty Carport attached with three heavy duty magnets.

http://www.kelty.com/p-511-carport-deluxe-large.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YOO9C0

The magnets fit perfectly into the Sprinter channel on the roof with the poptop. I use a thin cloth to make sure magnets don't scratch paint. For safety I take a velcro strap and attach it to sliding door bar when closed or open (this way not even strong wind gusts can lift it off.

It works great.

Bernard
bernardp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #4

Bernard,
Thanks for the information on the sun shade/tent. I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to get a response. Since I posted I have learned that SMB is designing an awning that will be made to attach to the Sprinter w/the Penthouse. I'm waiting to hear back from them on what it will cost and the details on how it will attach.
Now it's nice to know that there is an option.
Tim
Old 09-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #5

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

This one worked well on our Eurovan. http://countryhomescampers.com/products/camper-awning

It needs no gutters and the brackets fit under the pop-top. Don't put it too close to the fire however. We had tiny holes in ours from sparks.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #6

Thanks Kmessinger, I'll have to check with Sportsmobile to make sure it will fit on the Sprinte w/penthouse. Hope your travels are going well. I enjoyed the pictures in your last post.
Tim
Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Since I posted I have learned that SMB is designing an awning that will be made to attach to the Sprinter w/the Penthouse. I'm waiting to hear back from them on what it will cost and the details on how it will attach.
If it is anything like the awning mount on my 03 E-350 SMB I would avoid it at all costs.
It cracked both sheet metal body mounts on the first rough road I took it on.
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #8

We use a Kelty 12X12 tarp with 2 poles and 3 bungees. 2 poles hold up the 2 outer corners (duh) and the 2 longer bungees are attached to the other corners and stretched around the bottom of the poptop and hooked into the poptop bungee rings. The 3rd bungee is used to support the front part of the tarp (above the sliding door) -- makes a peak so to speak.

I'll see if I can drag some pictures somewhere... that would help.

Once you get it dialed, only takes a few minutes to setup. Works great...

2008 Sprinter RB50 PH top
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #9

Thanks for the option. I would love to see some pics. I am still waiting for SM to finish their design for the awning and come up with a price. My deposit is down on the Sprinter and I am in the process of designing the set up.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaff
Thanks for the option. I would love to see some pics. I am still waiting for SM to finish their design for the awning and come up with a price. My deposit is down on the Sprinter and I am in the process of designing the set up.
Unfortunately I could only find one and it is not the showiest angle.... but it shows the basic idea and how the tarp is wrapped around via the bungees on the sides.

"cons" of this method:
  • the tarp is showing wear at the corners wear it has rubbed againest the canvas of the top (from wind moving it around while in place; it does flap around when very windy). The canvas (which I worry about more) does not show wear at this point.

There is a tendency to pool water in big rains. Creating the peak at the PH roof helps also anchoring/tying off the tarp in various locations (to pull more taut) helps.

The 12 by 12 sometimes feels like it covers a smallish area but we have had 2 chairs , 2 bikes, and 1 fold up table under there so works for our needs. Not sure a bigger tarp would work with this setup method (fit wise).

We are happy with this system for our needs and the climates we are usually in (out west). But we frequently dont use it if we are only out for a night or 2.

I'd be curious to hear what SMB comes up with for their awning solution and how much $$.... can you post when you know?

thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
JAuerbach-Awning-2011-00380.jpg  

2008 Sprinter RB50 PH top
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote