Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #11
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by achop View Post
You can use the Search feature to find threads discussing penthouses. Nothing's "wrong with the penthouse" and most manual and electric seem to work fine. But there seem to have been a lemon or two built (only on Friday's at 5?).
I know you made this comment to the person who commented above you, but after reading it, I myself did a search and I cannot believe how many people have had problems with the penthouse. I swear – I swear to God… Had I found this forum before I bought my van and scheduled the penthouse top to be installed – I never would have done it. It’s my fault for not doing all the research. I thought I had done plenty of research, but obviously I did not. This forum has so much information and so many excellent people sharing their stories, experiences, and advice. And of course, I love reading about the success stories and all of the great memories people are making in theirs.
This really is a great tool to get information.
I’m looking forward to reading other peoples best three, and worst three.

VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
I know you made this comment to the person who commented above you, but after reading it, I myself did a search and I cannot believe how many people have had problems with the penthouse. I swear – I swear to God… Had I found this forum before I bought my van and scheduled the penthouse top to be installed – I never would have done it. It’s my fault for not doing all the research. I thought I had done plenty of research, but obviously I did not. This forum has so much information and so many excellent people sharing their stories, experiences, and advice. And of course, I love reading about the success stories and all of the great memories people are making in theirs.
This really is a great tool to get information.
I’m looking forward to reading other peoples best three, and worst three.
VocalVirgo, have you had bad PH experiences? If so, what would you have done differently? I need occasional space for 2+ and don't see many practical alternatives.
barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:27 AM   #13
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel47 View Post
VocalVirgo, have you had bad PH experiences? If so, what would you have done differently? I need occasional space for 2+ and don't see many practical alternatives.

I have, yes, but there seem to be only a few people who have had so many things go wrong. There are plenty of things that have gone wrong for many owners, just not so numerous as myself and a few others. I’m telling you honestly- I would not recommend getting a SMB top put on. There are some very clever ways, design-wise, to sleep 4. Along with a full rear bed, some people have made bunk beds, murphy beds etc. Google it, you’ll find plenty of good ways to do your build without spending $10K+ for a penthouse top. For $400, you can put a double bed pop-up tent on the roof of the van. The kids would have to climb the ladder from outside the van, and it will limit space for solar, but you’d still have room for a rooftop air conditioner, and you can put the solar panels on the top of the pop-up tent. That’s just 1 of many alternatives... But start Google’ing how to built out a van to sleep 4...
Old 09-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #14

You could also go with a different vendor, such as Colorado camper van for a top or have a top installed at one of the other sportsmobile locations.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #15

Location: On an island in the Western basin of lake Erie Ohio
Things I like...
#1 My Maxx air fan. I love the fact that I can have it open all the time to keep the van vented when stored and not worry about it raining. I had a VW Westfalia and was always fighting mold problems in it. This fan has eliminated that. I also love the fact that I can reverse the flow to blow in and keep me cool until I fall asleep.
#2 Solar set up. I have 200 watts and am going to go up to 300. It so far has kept the battery charged and the fan moving all summer without plugging in.
#3 My queen sized bed. (bonus "garage" area underneath it)

Things I do not like...
#1 Lack of 12-volt electricity to my doors. wanting to put switches and lights in them (I know, doable, but not installed yet.)
#2 Lack of retractable running boards (Bad knee)
#3 I am sure there is another but I would be reaching for it because I can not think of one right now.... (Maybe fuel efficiency. I am ok with it now, but at first it was hard coming from a turbo diesel VW that consistently got 28 to 30 MPG)
QuigRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #16
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuigRig View Post
Things I like...
#1 My Maxx air fan. I love the fact that I can have it open all the time to keep the van vented when stored and not worry about it raining. I had a VW Westfalia and was always fighting mold problems in it. This fan has eliminated that. I also love the fact that I can reverse the flow to blow in and keep me cool until I fall asleep.
#2 Solar set up. I have 200 watts and am going to go up to 300. It so far has kept the battery charged and the fan moving all summer without plugging in.
#3 My queen sized bed. (bonus "garage" area underneath it)

Things I do not like...
#1 Lack of 12-volt electricity to my doors. wanting to put switches and lights in them (I know, doable, but not installed yet.)
#2 Lack of retractable running boards (Bad knee)
#3 I am sure there is another but I would be reaching for it because I can not think of one right now.... (Maybe fuel efficiency. I am ok with it now, but at first it was hard coming from a turbo diesel VW that consistently got 28 to 30 MPG)

Off subject, but why did you only get 28-30 MPG in a TDI? I had 2 of them and I got 45 in the first one, and 52 in the #DieselGate one...
Old 09-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #17

What were we talking about?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #18

Location: On an island in the Western basin of lake Erie Ohio
It was only a 1.6L TD in a Westfalia. Way underpowered. I do have it set up to run fryer grease and have driven it from Northern Ohio to the Florida Keys and back using only a couple gallons of diesel. I had all the used grease stored on my sailboat trailer as I was going to a regatta. I got around 500 MPG of diesel on that trip LOL.

My TDI Jetta station wagon gets the 45 MPG
QuigRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #19
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuigRig View Post
It was only a 1.6L TD in a Westfalia. Way underpowered. I do have it set up to run fryer grease and have driven it from Northern Ohio to the Florida Keys and back using only a couple gallons of diesel. I had all the used grease stored on my sailboat trailer as I was going to a regatta. I got around 500 MPG of diesel on that trip LOL.

My TDI Jetta station wagon gets the 45 MPG
I approve of this explanation, LOL. Thanks for responding. :-)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #20

pros:
1) agile 4x4
2) solar set up and ARB fridge
3) dometic sink stove combo
4) front sienna seats and seat swivels
5) roadshower 4L 10 Gallon

Cons

1) van rug doesnt insulate well or make a good floor overall
2) Did a custom rear sofa bed seat and had it made too large and its not comfortable to sleep on.
3) No insulation in the front of vehicle and the floor gets hot from the engine
Lcavalletti is offline   Reply With Quote