Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #21
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcavalletti View Post
pros:
1) agile 4x4
2) solar set up and ARB fridge
3) dometic sink stove combo
4) front sienna seats and seat swivels
5) roadshower 4L 10 Gallon

Cons

1) van rug doesnt insulate well or make a good floor overall
2) Did a custom rear sofa bed seat and had it made too large and its not comfortable to sleep on.
3) No insulation in the front of vehicle and the floor gets hot from the engine
I’m gonna Google “ARB Fridge” because I don’t know what it is...
And I have started seeing the dometic sink/stove combo... I wonder if the stove allows for the small propane bottles setup without a full propane system...?

VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #22

Pros:
1. 1979 PH top that I found at a junkyard and was able to restore and install on my van

2. Agile RIP Kit with BFG KO2s and limited slip. Off-road capability has been very impressive despite no 4x4

3. Electric tri-fold bed with storage drawer underneath on 36" 250lb slides that comes out of the back doors. Bed with foam topper is super comfortable and 72" wide so I can sleep perpendicular to the van.

Cons:
1. Since adding solar panels and a cargo box to my PH roof it is now pretty hard to lift by myself. Going to add some gas springs to help (Or I could get into weight lifting).

2. 3rd and 4th captain seats. Also got these from a junkyard and had some vinyl covers made for them. Just didn't turn out nice, and I am not a big fan of the 4 captain chairs layout, or in my current case, 3 chairs and a fridge.

3. Lack of secure storage space that can be accessed from the interior. I did not build cubby holes or drawers surrounding my tri-fold bed and wish I would have been more thoughtful in designing with space efficiency. Stuff ends up just kind of on the floor and bounces around offroad.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #23
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
BEST:
1. Penthouse Top: BEST of the Van, wife's favorite spot to sleep with windows open and breezy, great views usually too, awesome for just standing looking out w/ screens open (but made in Indy so, best of both worlds)
2. Propane system for cooking and furnace, cold camping made perfect! Don't cook much IN Sporty, but coffee, popcorn, and boiling water for boil n bag dinners...
3. Ladder for top/PH access...w/o would not be able to use canoe so easy
etc...
7. Building it in Huntington, IN (SMB NORTH)

Not so Best:
1. Microwave, only use it to soften potatoes for campfire cooking
2. GIANT TV dome on top...MANNNN thought it was going to be 98% smaller lol! We just rely on antenna/dvd's
3. Not putting two more foggers on...on back roads/dirt good to have as much light as possible
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #24

Garage
Most Satisfied:
1. Added a 120watt Axillary tri-fold solar panel with 100ft cable (planning on adding another to the end of this one using M4 "Y" connectors, with an extra 25ft cable)
2. Espar Heater is fantastic, and makes the wife very happy
3. Tied for third: Front & Rear ARB air lockers, and rear air bags

Cons:
1. No outside shower hook-up...yet. Hose currently attaches to inside sink (outside hook-up would be very convenient)
2. Mounted rear camera on rear bumper - should have had it installed higher
3. Brake system: just replaced all Rotors, Calipers, Pads, Master Cylinder, Booster, and Vac pump - still not enough "reaction".
Old 09-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #25
GAR

Most Satisfied:
1. Weldtecdesigns rock sliders & all the Aluminess add ons.
2. Swivel passenger seat & queen size organic Talalay latex foam rubber bed
3. Side barn doors. -So glad I did not get a sliding side door!

Least Satisfied:
1. Gas milage (11-14 mpg).
2. Bedrug floor (hard to clean when away).
3. Factory seats.
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #26

Most Satisfied:
1) Dual ceiling fans in lieu of AC. Have not regretted not having AC.
2) Espar D2 heater. Was a life saver the few times we have used it.
3) tie between running boards to assist stepping up into van and swivel seats

Least Satisfied:
1) wish I had installed more than 200w of solar and had a house battery larger than 200Ah.
2) have not used our induction cooktop once in over 1.5 years. Mostly installed it to help with resale value in the future. Also we don't care to cook in the van, the smelly food in the van is too inviting for bear visits when sleeping (lol).
3) LED ceiling lights are too bright, wish they were on a dimmer.
Mer1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #27
Gone Traveling

I get to take one of my “worst” items off the list!

My almost father-in-law completely fixed the 110/12V combo outlet that was not flush with the wall. It was an easy job considering he also fixed my ceiling that came down a few days earlier while parked , LOL. He did all this while I was sleeping- #Lazy. I wish he would’ve taken pictures or video, because I have pictures and videos of every stage of the van, and of course including the stuff that’s been falling apart regarding the penthouse top. But even just turn it was a regular cargo van right on the lot, all the way up until, we’ll... today… :-)
That’s what I get for sleeping so late, LOL.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #28

Shadetreevanman, which Engel do you have and how does it work compared to traditional refrigerators? Thanks!
mkulley is offline   Reply With Quote