Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #1

better braking on Sprinter 4x4?

Has anyone found any reasonable upgrades to reduce on-road braking distance on a Sprinter 4x4? I don't actually have any complaints thus far, really, and hard stops have been rare as I tend to accommodate in my driving for the slower braking vs. my cars, but I have had a couple heavy braking incidents that got me thinking.

My setup:
-2017 Sprinter 144 4x4
-Method rims and KO2s from SMB
-Van Compass Suspension
-Typical loaded weight with build 4240 front, 4080 rear

I'm wondering what the limiting factors for braking are, and whether anyone's found any (ideally simple) upgrades. I'm guessing it is what it is given the weight of the vehicle, but hopefully doesn't hurt to ask. At the very least, if anyone has good thoughts about what the limiting factors are (tires, rotors, other) I would be interested to hear.

mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
tlg

Garage
Noticed the same. Big difference between 4x4 E350 braking and the 4x4 Sprinter. Ford wins hands down. Curious to see responses.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #3

Threre's this:
https://www.sprinterstore.com/produc...r-power-brake/

However I'm skeptical it will actually help in all situations. Ceramic pads are better when hot, but that means they usually perform much worse when you first stab the brakes. Cross-drilled rotors WILL crack on any heavy vehicle. They don't look to be any larger than OEM. Finally, WTF do they mean by "high carbon rotors"? Cast iron rotors are best for brakes. Are they trying to imply their rotors have more iron than regular cast iron? Or that they are a high-carbon steel, which will have less carbon than iron?

I'm absolutely certain the Sprinters (and Transits) are limited by their limited "swept area", which is a result of smallish wheels. You could probably improve initial "bite" with a soft organic compound, but the trade-off will be less fade resistance, shorter life, and more dust.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #4

SMB-W replaces the E-350 brakes (entire assembly) with F-550 brakes. Are brakes from a Unimog or any other Daimler trucks even close to compatible with a Sprinter? Would swapping them disrupt the limited slip differential?
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote