Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #11

Just like Bellpilot, lol!

Phil

SMB West motorized penthouse
Underfloor Aluminum storage box from northleftcoast
Aluminess Bumper-Mount Spare Tire Rack

Passenger & Driver swivel seat bases
Kenwood DNX572BH Navigation/DVD/CD Receiver
SilverForkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:27 AM   #12

CBs provide great entertainment on occasion, though. Like the time I listened to a bored trucker singing the full version of “Proud Mary” in the middle of the night while driving I-40 across Tennessee :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #13

I have installed the same unit Bellpilot mentioned in his post in several of my rigs. If you have multiple vehicles the Mic unit can be transferred between them. I will be doing a base unit Ham in the van. There are several now with detachable face plates for easier mounting. I am still learning the Ham stuff, not a system my brain processes well.
04QuadBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #14

Garage
I had to get a ham license to be a zero car at this years rally. how I passed that test I have no idea, but both the wife and myself received our licenses. I was given one of the detachable face units to use in our car for the race but I really like the design and will likely get the same unit for the van. for as easy as they are to install, I might just set up each one of our vehicles that we use in the forest to plug and play. likely do the same with a cb unit as well since that seems to be the communication of choice with the local 4x4 groups we do drives with. although, I don't really mind not having a way to chat with the others at times. sometimes the quiet observing is what we like.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
I had to get a ham license to be a zero car at this years rally. how I passed that test I have no idea, but both the wife and myself received our licenses. I was given one of the detachable face units to use in our car for the race but I really like the design and will likely get the same unit for the van. for as easy as they are to install, I might just set up each one of our vehicles that we use in the forest to plug and play. likely do the same with a cb unit as well since that seems to be the communication of choice with the local 4x4 groups we do drives with. although, I don't really mind not having a way to chat with the others at times. sometimes the quiet observing is what we like.
We got our Technician licenses last year as well.
We have handheld units for now, but I want a mounted unit - What make/model is it?

Phil
SMB West motorized penthouse
Underfloor Aluminum storage box from northleftcoast
Aluminess Bumper-Mount Spare Tire Rack

Passenger & Driver swivel seat bases
Kenwood DNX572BH Navigation/DVD/CD Receiver
SilverForkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #16

Garage
^^^ Yep, that’s what we needed to be a zero car too. The test took me right back to high school, lol. Going cross eyed, trying to fall asleep when I was trying to concentrate. Still amazed I passed. I expected the wife to pass though. She learns more gooder than I do...

This is the unit they had me put in our car for the event. I honestly don’t know much about them yet. Heck I’ve barely even used it since I rarely drive that car anymore, but they said this was a perfect model to install in our van if I was going to do so.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/woux...d=156340589667
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #17

CB Mount/Antenna

I have the cobra with the hidden mount in my van, along with a 2M/70cm icom 5100. I also use DMR, but thats just geek stuff. For the antenna, I use the firestick mounted on my Aluminess front bumper with aluminum bar clamps (usually used for aux lighting.) I have both the HAM and CB antennas mounted there. Since I added new front fenders for the bigger tires, I was able to lose the radio antenna and use the CB antenna for am/fm as well, by using the ProComm Im-AF Splitter CB AM FM Radio Audio Stereo Antenna MultiPlexor, from Amazon. Having spent a lot of time in Australia, Im partial to the front mounted antennas.
Attached Thumbnails
antenna.jpg  
mfj20th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:10 AM   #18

I got my antennas and fishing poles mixed up! I should have said for the antenna was a Firestick like Mfj20th installed.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #19

A few observations about CB / Ham radios. There are a couple critical issues that affect the range of a radio. First is the power output. More power = longer range. Second is making sure you have a good antenna match, measured as SWR. A good match results from properly tuning the antenna, and is also affected by having a proper ground plane.
https://www.wearecb.com/cb-antenna-ground-plane.html
As an example, my van has a 100% fiberglass top and hood, which does not provide a usable ground plane. When I installed a C/B last year, I could not get a reasonable antenna match (as measured by an SWR meter) due to the lack of a ground plane. Firestick makes an antenna designed to solve this problem, that has a built in ground plane. Once I switched, my SWR went way down, and my transmit range was improved by a lot.

This is true for all antennas, not just C/B. In addition, output power makes a huge difference in transmit range. In order to double transmit range (all else being equal) you need four times the output power. The Wouxun radio mentioned earlier only puts out 4 or 5 watts, equal to or slightly more than a C/B. Many higher end ham radios put out 25, 50 or 100 watts on the same bands. That kind of power will make a huge difference, especially if your in the woods where signals get absorbed by the trees, or if terrain is rugged and there is no clear line of sight between antennas.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSoundman View Post
I ahve Ham, gmrs, and CB in my rigs...CB almost never gets used. GMRS is used all the time because I hand out 5W GMRS portables with people I travel with...Ham is used all the time too (because I am a geek...and lots of people are starting to use it). CB is a waste and hear a lot less traffic on it (even from the big rigs) than a few years ago.

If you need CB for a trail ride, get a hand held unit and call it a day. Otherwise, dont waste your time/energy/money on it.
I thought GMRS required a license, so how do you hand out a 5w radio? some kind of commercial license vs individual?

And as to antenna, I mounted a stud on the front fender (Firestik hardware IIRC) so I can switch out either a CB (used rarely) or a 2M.