Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #1

Garage
CB radio

Has anybody installed a CB radio w/whip antenna on their rig? If so where? I'd like to put one in the space above the rear view mirror. Cable run etc.???http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...1&d=1535236472
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0685.jpg  

Steadijib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadijib View Post
Has anybody installed a CB radio w/whip antenna on their rig? If so where? I'd like to put one in the space above the rear view mirror. Cable run etc.???http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...1&d=1535236472
I ahve Ham, gmrs, and CB in my rigs...CB almost never gets used. GMRS is used all the time because I hand out 5W GMRS portables with people I travel with...Ham is used all the time too (because I am a geek...and lots of people are starting to use it). CB is a waste and hear a lot less traffic on it (even from the big rigs) than a few years ago.

If you need CB for a trail ride, get a hand held unit and call it a day. Otherwise, dont waste your time/energy/money on it.
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:17 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage
I had a longer whip on my van once until I hit a tree limb where the antenna promptly hit one of my brand new glass solar panels destroying it. Using a loaded antenna these days.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:19 AM   #4

I agree CB is a dying technology, but I still like having it for long interstate runs where internet traffic data may not be available.

I use a removable magnetic 3' antenna on the roof, above the sliding door. The rubber gasket around the door allows more than enough room to pass the cable through. I just run it down the inside pillar and along the floor to the driver's seat power outlet where my handheld CB is connected.

Not a very professional option, but can be undone in a few minutes when you want it out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0066.JPG  
Ned5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #5

Garage
Yes I agree old tech but I do like the NOAA features and use on long highway runs. Good idea about a hand held and magnetic antennae. My son bought me the whole hard mount rig so wanted other thoughts before install.
Thanks again all...
Steadijib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #6

I have mine mounted on a bracket attached to the driver side fender. It's under the hood and fairly clean

Phil
SMB West motorized penthouse
Underfloor Aluminum storage box from northleftcoast
Aluminess Bumper-Mount Spare Tire Rack

Passenger & Driver swivel seat bases
Kenwood DNX572BH Navigation/DVD/CD Receiver
SilverForkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #7

I installed an Ugly Stick antenna on the drivers side fender and a Cobra 75MX ST which has a remote head and easy to install. I did not want a cord hanging down in my face in the windshield with a visor height mount. Works great when we have another group traveling with us so we can communicate.
Attached Thumbnails
414E6AC8-A6CB-4B10-B320-4554F66982DA.jpg   A1851E80-ABF0-46B8-8AAF-0A4F6FA6A2FD.jpg  
Old 08-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:

SMB generally runs a wire or wire pair up to that area above the shelf for Fords....If you look in the front of the headliner you might find one....CB was a standard install above mirror for years. I like CB if with friends for chatting, and out of cell areas (a lot of the time )...Slightly directional but good for a couple miles easily.
Antenna on drivers side hood as shown....If you don't find a headliner hot wire, up the A pillar over the top of the windshield drivers side is EZ
Cheers
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Yes I agree old tech but I do like the NOAA features and use on long highway runs. Good idea about a hand held and magnetic antennae. My son bought me the whole hard mount rig so wanted other thoughts before install.
Thanks again all...
NOAA is available on many radios, not just CB... ...FYI...
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #10

I have a CB above the mirror: https://davidelmore.com/simg/DE13019137B.jpg next to a cell booster.

As others have said, there is little truck chatter these days, and in addition I have trouble understanding what they say. We used to depend on it for info about tie-ups ahead but now we (and I figure the trucks) get that from Google maps.

David