Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 11:48 PM   #1

D-ring placement RB 150S?

This is a bit random and poorly formulated:

I'd like to put in a couple D-rings into the floor of my build to give options for lashing stuff down when traveling (e.g., a cooler or skis or whatever), or even using the van for moving stuff from time to time (why have a van if I'm not able to schlep stuff around in it because I'm afraid it will bang up the pretty woodwork?).

I don't anticipate this being something I do often, but something is telling me to add a couple. I'm not a fan of the track systems that are useful but feel like overkill to me - I like the idea of sunken D-rings because they can be out of the way and covered by a rug most of the time. I'm thinking two placed somewhere near to and in front of the couch, to allow for a three point anchor with the exposed one that is already on the column behind the front passenger seat.

So... has anyone done this? thoughts on most useful placement, or anything else?

See, not well thought through... but that's what you all seem really good for so I thank you for your indulgence.

mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:03 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Have another look and think about the track systems. With the right creativity they can be easily incorporated into a new build and made to work almost seamlessly with finished floors. There are also "pockets" with individual attachment points which are great alternatives to the longer multi-position tracks.

Give these guys a look: http://https://www.cargoequipmentcor...ducts-s/38.htm

The D-ring attachment points are great if that's all you need and want. Placement would really depend on your use, there's no one best or right way where they're installed.

If you're anything like me those after-the-build-is-done regrets can drive a person crazy, coulda woulda, shoulda done this or that or yada yada yada.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:34 PM   #3

Here’s the L track I used. Recessed L track that I had anodized black. Cut as little or as much as you want. I usually have a rug laying over it and you can’t tell it’s there, my sienna seats bolt to the tracks. L track is super useful but yeah I’d course if it’s everywhere it can be overkill.

https://flic.kr/p/ZBjC1Y

Some other interesting and easy options that look clean and wouldn’t require cutting up the floor. Drill a couple holes and use their backing plates.

Mac's anchor plates, backing plates, deck hardware, and tie down rings
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

There are infinite variations of recessed D-rings. I would be willing to cut holes in the floor for these if I had an E-series still. Just mount and seal properly. I can't see it being a problem. It would probably enhance resale.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is....0.PbtM1AkPmJ8

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
There are infinite variations of recessed D-rings. I would be willing to cut holes in the floor for these if I had an E-series still. Just mount and seal properly. I can't see it being a problem. It would probably enhance resale.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is....0.PbtM1AkPmJ8

Thanks all, keep thoughts coming.

SMB can put the D rings in natively, recessed. I'm inclined to do so at four corners of the floor and see what happens. Maybe they can give me some loncoins scraps and I can fashion some plugs for the holes.
mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
Site Team

I think these are the ones I put in my teardrop trailer.

Mounting Ring Flush Mount Zinc 2,500 Lbs

Herb
Old 03-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #7

Mike, I misspoke thinking you had a Ford van. My fault. I'm not familiar with the floor of Sprinters at all. I can't imagine it's much different than any other van but alas......
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #8

Hi Mike,

Sprinters come with 2 recessed D rings behind each wheel well, 2 between the wheel wells and front pillar, and one at the base of each pillar. Where not covered by cabinetry the stock locations already have threads in the frame and would be good to have SMB re-mount when they put in their plywood flooring. I used the rear locations to add L-track and kept all the stock ones I could. They are strong locations, and the D rings are stiff so they do not rattle.
Beached is offline   Reply With Quote