Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #1

Garage
Diesel fuel in Baja

I have a build on order 2017 4x4 to arrive in Oct. ordered 9/16...have plans for Baja runs but have heard that the new Sprinters don't like Mexico Diesel fuel anybody have issues with that?

Steadijib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #2

There are some older threads on this subject in the archives. All diesel engines sold in the US now run only on ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel), so it isn't just Sprinters. Older diesel engines can run on the old fuel or the new fuel, but new engines can only run on the new cleaner fuel. The last I read was that ULSD was available along major Mexico highways and I think in most of Baja.

Check the archives here, also on the Tiger forum and Expedition Portal web sites.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #3

There are a number of other ULSD spec'd vehicles that run on crap diesel just fine. The regen cycles a bit more, but that's it. A number of Sprinter folks with ad-blue systems have run on non-ULSD diesel for short periods of time (a couple tanks) without issue. I've seen a number of NCV3's doing long runs down through South America without issue, but it've never inquired about how they do it.

As of now, I haven't read about someone braving non-ULSD for extended periods of time (like running to Argentina and back) that has detailed how they did it. I know there are some creative ways to get around a clogged DPF filter (like drilling holes in it for airflow).

If you're just doing Baja runs, you should be fine. Plenty of ULSD stations, and you should be OK running non-ULSD fuel for a couple tanks.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #4

Garage
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll research more on the earlier forum posts don't want to get into any warranty
issues.
Steadijib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #5

What kills the newer common rail diesels more than anything is dirty and/or water in the fuel. Good filters/water separators, changed at appropriate intervals, is your best defense against bad or questionable fuel.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote