Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #11

Re: Dually Rear End Sprinters ...

Brian,

Here is the info for the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) from Sportsmobile for my vehicle:

GVWR = 8550
UVW -7000
Fresh Water -133 (16 gals @8.32 Lbs/Gal)
Propane - 36 ( 8 gals @ 4.2 Lbs/Gal)
SCWR -616
--------
CCC 765 Pounds

UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) = Weight of motorhome as manufactured at the factory with full fuel, motor oil & coolants. I assume they weighed the vehicle and rounded up.

SCWR (Sleeping Capacity Weight Rating) = The manufacturer's designated number of sleeping positions at 154 pounds each.

I never run with 4-154 pounders in the vehicle! So for practical purposes I consider the total cargo capacity, including people, of my vehicle at 1380 pounds.

Obviously, if the dead weight of a manufactured motorhome is 10,000 to 12,000 pounds it would not work on the 2500 Sprinter chassis.

Hope that helps,
/~fred

fmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmiles
Hope that helps
It really does, Fred. Thank you.

What I'm not clear about, as it pertains to you and your vehicle is: which Sprinter do you have (assuming that you do)? An RB, EB, LB - PH, Tall, etc?

If you have an EB, then my concerns are allayed. However if it's an RB, I don't know how much the GVWR will be effected by the additional weight of an EB. It's the same axle set up on both as I see it.

Thanks Again!

Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #13

If the LB extends the wheelbase (I'm confused about the different Sprinter configurations) I think that should actually increase your capacity, but you're saying the EB has the same wheelbase as the RB, which would be like modern Ford & Dodge vans as opposed to Chevy where the wheelbase moves with the extension.

This is interesting (got to be a transposition in 2006) you get 1440lbs from the 3500:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-part ... /gvwr9.htm

Code:
Year	Model 	*GVWR (lbs)
	Sprinter Van 2500	8550
	Sprinter Van 3500	8550
	Sprinter Wagon 2500	9990
	Sprinter Van 2500	8550
	Sprinter Van 3500	9990
	Sprinter Wagon 2500	8550
	Sprinter Van 2500	8550
	Sprinter Van 3500	9990
	Sprinter Wagon 2500	8550
	Sprinter Van 2500	8550
	Sprinter Van 3500	9990
	Sprinter Wagon 2500	8550
But there a lot of other good lists like Cargo Capacity:

Sprinter Van 2500 318 ft³
Sprinter Van 3500 371 ft³
Sprinter Wagon 2500 141.3 ft³

Seems like you might be able to find a difference between RB and EB capacity in some of the numbers and determine how much weight the EB adds... but like the 3500 in all the years goes UP in cargo space, which doesn't make sense from the natural conclusion that the dually wheel wells would take up space- something I also heard from my brother when he was comtemplating a dually.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #14

Brian,

The information I gave you is for my 2008 Sprinter conversion done by SMB west. I have an EB (Extended Body) 170" wheel base Sprinter 2500 with the high roof (75" interior height), no penthouse. Take a look at my first first post. Also, see this page: http://sportsmobile.com/2_sr_vaninfo07.html for more details.

If you really need to carry a lot of "heavy stuff," you can also pull a 5,000 pound trailer if the van load is kept below the GVWR=8550 pound limit. The engine has plenty of power. Breaking is the limiting factor for me ... leave plenty of head room .. it won't stop on a dime.

/~fred
fmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #15

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Comparing a 2500EB to a 3500EB both cargo vans:
Cargo space; 79.7sf vs 78.6sf
Curb wt; 5267 vs 5862
Payload; 3283 vs 4128 (9990 GVW) or 5168 (optional 11,030 GVW)

My 2500RB built out by SMB and fully loaded (fuel, water, propane, tools, etc) except for passengers weighed 7680. That leaves me 860 pounds for me, wife, dog and our clothes/food.
BTW, the only way to really know weights is to go to a scale and weigh the actual loaded vehicle.

Quote:
I'd rather be over-built than under-built.
If you mean over the weight limit that would be wrong.

Regards,

Keith
Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger
Quote:
Overbuilt would be like putting 2.5 ton Rockwells under an SMB, or using a semi-truck to tow an 18' fifth-wheel... unfortunately I've only seen the latter.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #17

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Underbuilt?

Regards,

Keith
Old 09-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
... but you're saying the EB has the same wheelbase as the RB, which would be like modern Ford & Dodge vans as opposed to Chevy where the wheelbase moves with the extension.

Seems like you might be able to find a difference between RB and EB capacity in some of the numbers and determine how much weight the EB adds... but like the 3500 in all the years goes UP in cargo space, which doesn't make sense from the natural conclusion that the dually wheel wells would take up space- something I also heard from my brother when he was comtemplating a dually.
That seems to be great info. The wheelbase on the EB and LB is 26" longer than the RB, but I'm not sure that means that the GVWR goes up, too. Matter of fact, the SMB info indicates that the GVWR is the same on all models.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/2_sr_vaninfo07.html

It fails to mention the actual weight of the different vehicles, though.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 09-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmiles
The information I gave you is for my 2008 Sprinter conversion done by SMB west. I have an EB (Extended Body) 170" wheel base Sprinter 2500 with the high roof (75" interior height), no penthouse.
Have you ever had the van weighed? How does your van handle when it's fully loaded, or as fully loaded as you've had it, that is ...?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 09-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger
My 2500RB built out by SMB and fully loaded (fuel, water, propane, tools, etc) except for passengers weighed 7680. That leaves me 860 pounds for me, wife, dog and our clothes/food.
BTW, the only way to really know weights is to go to a scale and weigh the actual loaded vehicle.

Quote:
Awesome info, Keith! Sounds like you actually climbed on a scale to find out. By over-built, I meant built to handle more weight than you might carry than built to handle not enough ... Kinda like the semi tractor pulling an 18' 5th wheel.

BTW, I've seen the build pics you have and all the info. That's very helpful.

Thanks,

Brian