Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2023, 09:07 AM   #1

Emissions recall for my 2016

Howdy all, Is there a good reason not to complete the emissions recall on my 2016 2500 4x4? Loss of power, poor gas milage etc...I'm thinking if its really worth it or not.
MBZ is offering $2000 plus added warranty to do so but for me to drive from where I live to where I have to go is not very convenient. Thanks for any insight into this.

markinsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 02:42 PM   #2

DEF consumption went up a bit on my 2016, now I get about 800 mpg DEF vs over a thousand before the recall work. Other than that I have noticed no difference in either power or MPG diesel.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:13 PM   #3

Fitz, Thanks!
So I guess another question is ; what if I don't do the recall. Anything detrimental
to the van if not performed?
Old 05-31-2023, 12:38 PM   #4

On the surface, it would seem that the recall mainly increases the rate of DEF use via programming changes. I do not know what other modifications, if any, are made. Based on this I would speculate that there are no detrimental effects to the van if not performed. I would have looked into this deeper had I considered not having the work done.

Points to consider:
1. What are the emission requirements in the state where you live? Here in CA I have to imagine that future smog tests will look for the modification sticker that gets applied under the hood. (As an aside, and this is a request to all who haven't done so, please add your location to your address, it really helps to know where the questions are coming from).
2. Yes, the added DEF usage will cost you money over the long run. MB is providing compensation in the form of a cash payment.
3. What's not to like about the included warranty extension? My DEF pump went out on my recent trip to Chicago, the additional warranty covered the entire cost of the replacement.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:15 PM   #5

So that makes perfect sense. Pretty much what I was looking for.
I do live in Nevada so smog emissions are not an issue. I think using your reasoning I'll probably keep my appointment at MBZ in Sacramento, hoping to get a loaner. We used them when we had my wife's SUV and they were very professional when we lived in Sactown.
On another note my 2016 only has 30,000 miles and I've kept what little maintenance up to date and then some i.e. oil and filter changes annually.
Thanks again for your insight. Maybe see you on the road.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:32 PM   #6

I’ve never been to MB of Sacramento, but MB of Reno did some good work for me in the past and I have heard good things about MB of Rocklin.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
As an aside, and this is a request to all who haven't done so, please add your location to your address, it really helps to know where the questions are coming from.
THANK YOU for doing so!
Old 06-03-2023, 07:06 PM   #8

FYI, here is what the sticker placed under the hood after the recall work is done looks like:
Old 06-04-2023, 02:57 PM   #9

We have the same van and had the work done in Seattle awhile back. You do get money from Mercedes. In addition, we got an extended emission warranty (I believe another 70K mi), and now the timing (belt or chain?) is also covered. In fact it was just in and a bunch of work was done that was all covered b/c we’d had this warranty work done. So yes, it’s probably worth the effort.
drdogfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinsac View Post
Howdy all, Is there a good reason not to complete the emissions recall on my 2016 2500 4x4? Loss of power, poor gas milage etc...I'm thinking if its really worth it or not.
MBZ is offering $2000 plus added warranty to do so but for me to drive from where I live to where I have to go is not very convenient. Thanks for any insight into this.
I had it done on my 2016 at MB of Fairfield CA July 2021 and just got my $3,400 settlement check a few a few months ago. My mileage went way down after getting it done but that doesn’t appear to be common. I used to get 17-18 average. I mpg was 14.7 in the first 2,400 miles after getting it done.
Attached Thumbnails
51FB56F1-5588-452E-A9DE-FFAC91495C5A.jpg  
Beached is offline   Reply With Quote