Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2018, 01:14 AM   #11

D5 System

This seems to be a trend. I really haven't run our heater except for the monthly operations test. The first full use will come this winter when I take back the van from Fresno after the flarepod mod.

I think I'll swing through RIXEN on my way home to Washington to have the system fully checked by the experts and head off any possible issues.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #12

So yes the altimeter was not wired correctly. SMB west did not tie in the altimeter and my heater had operated for 5 hours at high altitude with no altimeter adjustment. It got carboned up and failed. Once I get the heater back I will install, fire up and test with Rixen on the phone to be sure. I wonder if SMB is doing all the new vans wrong? They will hear from me when the whole picture is clear. I don't want to be blaming, more constructive. Side issue, my canvas pop top leaked the third time we used it. Silicone along the bottom end of the canvas around the van and good to go, but... 100K van, dream of many years, and many years to pay for it. I feel they could do a better job.
salim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #13

Garage
Espar/SMB

We had issues the first time we used our heater. There was a big puddle of anti-freeze on the ground beneath the exhaust area. Called SMB, told to call Rixen who were extremely helpful. Once we told them it was SMB they pretty much nailed what we had to do. Take our bench apart, access the cabinet and tighten about 14 hose clamps that were very loose. Oh, and clean up the leaked anti-freeze that they had the foresight to put a pan under inside the van. We have had to do this twice in 2 years--tighten the clamps. They have told SMB the specs but I guess it doesn't matter once your check clears. We were also totally clueless on how to use the system when plugged in and what we had to have on when off shore power. The SMB manual is pretty much useless in terms of explaining how most of the systems work. Rixen is a top notch company with excellent customer service. SMB, not so much so.
hildems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #14

Is there any way to perform a self diagnosis to make sure everything is setup correctly? My van build was finished in September, and we haven't had any problems with the Rixen setup. However, I don't want to find out the hard way during ski season that the system wasn't running right...
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #15

Michael at Rixen would be who I ask that question to. 8009256260
Old 11-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #16

Just as a counterpoint, our Espar D5 that SMBw installed a year ago has worked great, despite the time we encased our exhaust pipe in ice and flooded the combustion chamber.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #17

Just a second counterpoint for what it is worth. I have never heard of any issues like this from Sportsmobile North (can’t speak for SMB Texas). Customer Service at SMB Indiana is also top notch.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #18

Got the heater back from Rixen. Installed and started up. Ran diagnostics and the altimeter is now talking to the heater and all is well. So bottom line for my issue was a yellow power wire to the altimeter was cut and not installed right. SMB west issue. Heater works fine now and looking forward to winter trips. I will let Peter at SMB west know about the issue. I hope it was a fluke and not the new norm. Kudos to Michael at Rixen, he helped a novice diagnose and repair this issue.