Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #11

Re: Factory Sprinter 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
One question; I've heard (from owners) and read that the trannys are a weak spot on the Sprinter vans. Any validity to this or is this concern an anecdote/internet folklore?

Rob
I bet that's more internet hype than reality. I abused an older Sprinter (06?) for a couple of years and about 100k miles and the tranny was flawless. This was a fleet vehicle used for all day every day delivery. I also know all of our mechanics pretty well and used to talk to them about the Sprinters when we first started to get a lot of them. They never mentioned, nor did I see any transmission problems but they did hate the learning curve of working on Merc stuff. I have BMWs these days so now I know what they mean. Parts are harder to get, things are more 'computerized' than most vehicles (stability control, etc.), and a few special tools are needed to work on them. Sprinters eat headlight bulbs almost monthly for some reason, they have an intake/turbo problem that frequently puts them down, and the engines are generally toast by about 300k. Those are the only negs I know of, BUT I don't have any idea about the latest ones. The ones I am really talking about are the inline 5 diesels, now they are all v6 I think? For a camper that doesn't get driven as often I would love to have a Sprinter if I could afford one. They are phenomenal vehicles.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Neat rig: http://youtu.be/9gIaxawRDyI

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
One question; I've heard (from owners) and read that the trannys are a weak spot on the Sprinter vans. Any validity to this or is this concern an anecdote/internet folklore?

Rob
I bet that's more internet hype than reality. I abused an older Sprinter (06?) for a couple of years and about 100k miles and the tranny was flawless. This was a fleet vehicle used for all day every day delivery. I also know all of our mechanics pretty well and used to talk to them about the Sprinters when we first started to get a lot of them. They never mentioned, nor did I see any transmission problems but they did hate the learning curve of working on Merc stuff. I have BMWs these days so now I know what they mean. Parts are harder to get, things are more 'computerized' than most vehicles (stability control, etc.), and a few special tools are needed to work on them. Sprinters eat headlight bulbs almost monthly for some reason, they have an intake/turbo problem that frequently puts them down, and the engines are generally toast by about 300k. Those are the only negs I know of, BUT I don't have any idea about the latest ones. The ones I am really talking about are the inline 5 diesels, now they are all v6 I think? For a camper that doesn't get driven as often I would love to have a Sprinter if I could afford one. They are phenomenal vehicles.

That is helpful info, thanks.

R
Old 12-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #14

I read somewhere that the 4x4 option is only for the short 2500 version. Anyone have any info to confirm or deny this?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #15

Have been thinking about Iceland and doing some research. Came across this on the Hertz.is website. There were no other details. If Hertz has them then they are readily available.

Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387940619.903886.jpg  
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #16

They have been available in Europe and Australia for some time now. Just not here in the US.

http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.co...z-sprinter-4x4
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #17

Have no idea how accurate, but this article is date Mar. 7, 2014 and says next year. They always say that though.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/07/merc ... -official/
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #18

tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #19

In case folks haven't seen it elsewhere, and to update the thread, MB announced the 4x4 Sprinter will be available in the US in Q1 2015. SMB notes it on their website.

Press release here: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/07/merc ... -official/

I thought this bit was interesting: "The Sprinter 4x4 may not be an off-roader, but its body was lifted by 4.3 inches (110 mm) at the front and 3.1 inches (80 mm) in the rear. The slope climbing ability is up to 20 percent higher than in the Sprinter with conventional drive." You can get a low range, and it is lifted a bit.

I've seen some videos that would seem to confirm it isn't a very robust offroader, but I'm not sure if it is the same iteration of 4x4 that will be sold here, or if it can be improved at all.

Rob
Old 06-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #20

New to me

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote