Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #11

What about doing his floorplan, but elevating the platform bed far enough to have fold-down bunks below, mounted to the wall? Like a toy-hauler trailer has?

Old 12-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #12

does ccv do tops on high top sprinters? can you stand up in mid top sprinters? will either put tops on mid top sprinters?

so many sprinter questions for this econoline owner haha. I have mentally planned a sprinter for if somehow a growing family renders my rb50 style e350 useless.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
What about doing his floorplan, but elevating the platform bed far enough to have fold-down bunks below, mounted to the wall? Like a toy-hauler trailer has?

We came up with similar design, but stacked the passenger seats along the driver side wall in-line to allow for an open space at the step in zone at slider entry (A block of 4 ft x 3ft space would be nice in a tight build.)

Sling hammocks from the sides or air bed the kids on the floor until they're older and bigger, at that time send them off in to the working world.

Your rear platform can be converted to a couch that folds into a bed and the platform shortened.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #14

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...red-19070.html

This is a link to the thread for our build; look at the floor plans/s. Airbed the kids or sling hammocks from rings on the frame - old school like the foremast jacks of yesteryear slept.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Is a pop top out of the question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
If you won't be in cold climates have your water tank installed underneath.
I could be mistaken, but I don't think SMB will put a pop-top on anything other than a regular length bed and low roof. I'm also pretty sure Brian said they won't do under-carriage fresh water due to possibility of freezing. But then I have grown old and my memory plays tricks on me these days.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #16

Quote:
agree with jrobe, elevate the back bed and gat a huge amount of storage under it available in the rear. If i was doing this, and had to have a kitchen/bathroom, i'd do this:

-Elevate the back bed
-Pop top
-Front two seats swivel and can put a table in between the four of you
To this I would add the 5" Flarespace bump outs on both rear windows and the adults sleep sideways. You get a possible length of about 77 inches. There isn't much space between the top of the wheel wells and the bottom of such a bed, so I'd turn the kids' bed 90 degrees and have them sleeping lengthwise under the parents' bed, between the wheel wells. SMB could put some of the mechanicals in the cavities aft, afore, and directly above the wheel wells.

It's hard to carry enough water to use a shower, especially for four. SMB West is building a toilet room for me that they've done 1 time previously. The toilet will be behind the driver and facing the sliding door. The room will be 24" wide and about 22" deep, but will have dual bifold doors folded in when not in use. When needed for use, the bifold doors reconfigure to make the room 24" wide by about 34" deep, allowing leg room. This saves some interior room. Stop at campgrounds and truck stops for showers, take sponge baths from the sink, use a rear shower, go several days without a shower, stay occasionally in a motel.

My own floor plan is attached to this post.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #17

Quote:
does ccv do tops on high top sprinters? can you stand up in mid top sprinters? will either put tops on mid top sprinters?

so many sprinter questions for this econoline owner haha. I have mentally planned a sprinter for if somehow a growing family renders my rb50 style e350 useless.
Not for sprinters but they’ll do a top on a mid-height transit.
Pritikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:01 AM   #18

I drew some plans for someone else whose needs were similar to yours. They can be seen in posts here and here.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47 AM   #19

The DYI program has some limitations, so you'll have to use your imagination a little here. The upper bed here would be between two 5" Flarespace bump outs and would extend to the rear doors. The bottom bed would lie on the floor between wheel wells (DIY won't let me move beds off the edge of the wall) and extend to rear door. Above, afore, and aft of wheel wells would be mechanicals. Behind the driver is the toilet room I described above. The bifold doors are shown in closed up position; reconfigured, the room extends toward the sliding door on opposite side. Behind that is kitchen counter in configuration of your choice. Behind that is fridge and microwave above it, possibly cabinet space above that.
Attached Thumbnails
Sprinter 2017-12-12 at 1.39.04 AM.jpg  
Old 12-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #20

I admire your imagination but, again, this just shows the major compromises you have to make to try to cram 4 people into a small van with places for them to sit and sleep.

In this example, you lose the nice big windows in back for viewing the world (which is the whole purpose of traveling), there is no decent sitting area other than the seats you just sat in all day driving, you can't sit up in bed to read because there is no headroom, the bathroom is virtually non-existent, etc.. Then it all cost you over $100k for the privilege. Driving into town for a hotel starts to seem appealing .
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote