Photos from the repairs. I did this repair over a week ago, but due to travel am now just posting the photos:
Rust found under forward awning foot (temporarily treated with rust converter)
Scraped and ground rust away using brass wire brush on drill
Filled rust pits with auto body putty (multiple layers allowed to cure and sanded between)
Rust found under center awning mount. Outside edge of awning mount rubbed through paint on side of van
Masked off and primed previously rusted spots as well as a sizable adjacent area
Final result. Feathered paint into area around the repairs. 2 coats primer, 3 coats color, 3 coats clear coat. Sikaflex adhesive used under feet of awning mount to prevent it from rubbing through paint in the future.
I was very happy with the color match of the ERA paint. The clear coat left a more matte finish on the repaired sections of the van roof, but the instructions mentions that and suggests that a polishing once it is fully cured will result in the repaired area having a similar gloss to the surrounding areas.
The Sikaflex adhesive on the foot of the awning mounts, where it comes in contact with the van, will prevent the aluminum of the awning mount from rubbing through the paint on the van roof. The awning mount instructions call for this, but it wasn’t done by Sportsmobile during their installation of the awning.
I also applied the Sikaflex adhesive on the outside edge of the middle bracket as I found that area had rubbed through the van near the seam in the body panels. This was not an issue with the forward and aft awning mounts as the outside edge of the van curves away enough that this part of the outer awning bracket can’t touch the body of the van.