Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #21

For USB ports, my preference is to install a standard 12v outlet and use the separate push-in type USB outlet plugs. Provides a lot more flexibility IMO. For 12v outlets, I say don't be stingy with them. Always nice to have one in a convenient location. Just don't use them all at once and it's no issue.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #22

We got the snap-on window curtains and the cab privacy curtain. We thought the privacy curtain would be useful for stealth and reducing the amount of space to heat, but we never use it.

First, stealth hasn't really been an issue: we don't do urban camping, and just sleep in highway rest areas when doing long trips. And with the awning, solar panels, and rear window shades, I don't think we'd fool anyone anyways.

Second, we never bother to compartmentalize for heat, as the living space is already so small we're loathe to give up the front seats, and the Espar has been more than sufficient to keep us warm.

Regarding an extra solar connector... SMB added in inside connector for under $100. I haven't used it yet, but figure I could simply string a cord out the rear door when I need to. There may be a bit of power loss from the extra cord length, but better than an extra hole in the van.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #23

This raises a point that advocates for the privacy curtain: night time driving with interior lights lit is distracting. being able to pull the privacy curtain allows the other passenger(s) to use the the interior without messing interfering with the driver attention span !
Old 12-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #24

I like all your suggestions. Have done the same and have a 15 year old Fantastic Fan which continues to do good service. I would add a 12V shutoff switch. If you ever need to protect your house batteries from parasitic drain, this is invaluable.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #25

lights

We got some gooseneck reading lights, and like them a lot. Have them installed low on the wall near where you sleep. If they are up on the ceiling, they are too far away to be useful for reading.
cckweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:51 PM   #26

Yes to Privacy curtain on track

I agree with Fitz on the privacy curtain on a track, but will add another reason. On long trips when one wants to just drive until it is time for bed, it is SO easy to just pull the curtain shut and hit the sack. It takes up virtually no room when retracted behind the driver’s seat, so that is not an issue. We use the front window panels when we are not in a hurry, as they let one use the pivot seats, as you mentioned. It is great to have both options.

We have the dinette long option and carefully thought out where we wanted both 120v and usb outlets. But we didn’t anticipate all uses and sleeping orientations. Perhaps our only regret with our Sprinter SMB is not installing both AC and USB outlets in more places. When in doubt, stick them in!
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #27

We have both the front/side window snap in curtain and reflective window covering. Both work great, it's pretty easy to snap in place the front window/side covering. Takes me 5 minutes tops.

This leaves the front seats free for seating and privacy through the entire vehicle.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:19 AM   #28

We are on our 2nd SMB. Both RB50 layout w/penthouse. 1st an E-350, 2nd a , Transit.

Solar: Panels are a MUST have. SMB can add an exterior connector down low at the rear to plug in a portable panel when you park in the shade.

Privacy curtain: We never use, don't even carry it anymore. Windshield sun screen panel does double duty.

Exterior porch light: Rarely use, no need to add another.

Swivel front pass seat: Another MUST have

Reading Lights: The SMB standard locations do not put light where needed for front pass or for rear couch. Work w/ SMB on this.

Galley Counter Tops: On our 2nd,Transit, SMB put a huge decorative curve on the edge of the countertops. Looks nice, but takes away counter space.

Additional rear tail. turn & emergency lights: I had SMB add lights on the rear of the PH. Should you have to change a tire on a dark night, and have the rear doors open, the doors block the tail lights. Also provides extremely viewable tail/turn lights during normal driving. I always wand those behind me to see me!

Side door Cabinet: Have over-extension drawer slides on the drawers

Engine: I know this thread is about a Sprinter, but for those considering a Transit, here is my experience. I chose to go with the std. engine, mainly to "keep it simple". It has plenty of power to go up mountain passes and to maintain speed on the highway. Where it lacks is in acceleration, like entering a freeway. Not a big issue in Idaho, but if you are in a metro area and/or a daily driver, I'd go with the eco-boost.
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #29

1. Privacy Curtain We didn't get this, and I don't think I would use it. We spin the swivel seats around and toss the gear bags on them at night. Using the cab gives you a more space. Plus, I'm usually hanging damp bike gear or ski gear off the seats and want the heater to get to it. We have the arctic packs which insulate great. Not the most stealthy, but I figure I can hang a dark sheet or something if I need to go super stealth.

2. Power Locations – Get one at the head of the bed (by the rear door). I don't have this and I regret it when my phone alarm is going off in the morning on galley counter. Your other locations are good.

3. Exterior Lights - I stuck with just the porch light. I had rear floods on my Four Wheel Camper and rarely ever used them. When I did, it was because I was trying to make myself feel better about having paid for them. I use the porch light all the time.

4. Interior Lights – I have a high roof, so I don't have much to offer. We didn't get a dimmer, but we just use one of the single LEDs above in the cab or above the galley if the main lights are too much. We also use the gooseneck reading light a lot and just point it away as a ghetto dimmer. Now that I write this, if I did it again, I'd get a dimmer.

5. L-Tracks - Not needed for us. We store most equipment outside the van. Bikes go on a hitch bike rack and skis go in the cargo box on the roof. We also use gear bags by sport to keep everything together.
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #30

Garage
Red lighting in and out so as not to ruin night vision/wake up spouse.
Electrical outlet on passenger side exterior.
I like the curtain behind the drivers seat. I don't have to dig out the windshield shades and snap them on every time.
Window and door screens all round!