Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2018, 03:33 AM   #521

Tim,

Wondering if this tape would be good for sealing up around the wheel well liner removal needed for the front Van Compass Fox shocks. It is bomb proof on the deck of a heavy lift RO/RO ship I worked on, stays in place for years and completely seals the hatch edge.

The thought process is to seal the edges to keep out dirt/mud/grime and seal the liner back up.

Ramneck Hatch Cover Tapes | Repair Management Nederland B.V.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:43 AM   #522

And another possibility. We use denso tape to wrap hydraulic fittings on stern ramps, sideports, crane use.

Denso tape and petrolatum products
Old 02-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #523

I like the Denso tape idea, I have used it in the past and it is a great product. Not convinced if there is a need, but it sounds like a good idea so I will investigate further...
Old 02-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #524

Table Update

Post #207 details the table I installed in the front of Flint, mounted to the passenger's seat base.

We use it a lot, and Laura asked me if I could come up with a way to mount it in the back. Guys, remember the words to live by: Happy Wife, Happy Life...

I will let the pictures tell the story. Many thanks to my friend Lars who machined the PVC bearing insert you see here. It's amazing what you can get for the price of a beer!

If you crawl under a Sprinter you will understand the logic behind the mounting location. The base is through-bolted, access to the underside is via the 2" hole found in the cross-member in this location. (As an after-the-fact thought, there is enough room to install a recessed mounting receiver in this location.)

At the end of the day this wasn't a very difficult job and I believe the results speak for themselves. Have a look, and remember, comments are always appreciated!

Edit: I realized I didn't include a picture of the entire bracket/support arm. Here is a picture of it mounted up front. Needles to say, it is easy to switch the location from front to back.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #525

Espar D5, as incorporated into the Rixen Mobile Comfort System that is installed by S

In my experience, I have found that the information supplied by SMB on the D5 system is a bit on the thin side. My van was delivered in September of 2016. The order sheet states: “Diesel/110V Furnace & Water Heater, continuous, no tank, Espar Hydronic”. The SMB manual supplied with the van is dated 09/2011, regarding the Espar system the manual contains the following note: “…not included in the Sportsmobile Owner’s Manual. See manufacturer’s literature for information…ESPAR MARINE AIR HEATER – 800-387-4800 www.espar.com”. Information found on the SMB website, the brief description on the order sheet, a four-page Digi-Max D1000 Operating Instruction/Mounting Instruction document and a multi-language Eberspacher CD dated 08/2011 are what I received.

For me, that wasn’t enough, so I have been doing some research. Reading on the internet will result in a lot of information, but like a lot of internet information that resource alone often results in confusion as much of the posted information is often negative. (People often take the time to complain or to look for answers to problems, they don’t often take the same time to praise or to report on good results.)

The SMB system is called the Mobile Comfort System and it is supplied to SMB by Rixens Enterprises Inc., located in Oregon. If you don’t remember anything else from what I am about to say, remember this: Jim Rixen is a knowledgeable and helpful resource who takes the time to respond and provide service. Here is the contact information:

Rixens Enterprises Inc.
37600 C Ruben Ln.
Sandy, Oregon 97055
Ph. 503-668-6090
Fax. 503-668-9424
JIM@rixens.com
jimrixen@gmail.com

Going into the Espar https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/ and Rixens http://rixens.com/ websites is a worthwhile exercise. If you only have time for one, go to the Rixens website, follow it to the Sprinter and Class B & C RV System Information section http://rixens.com/products-services/sprinter-class-b-and-c-rv/sprinter-and-class-b-c-rv-system-information/ and start reading. There you will find helpful diagrams and links that are well worth your time to review. One thing to note, there are subtle differences between the system shown on the Rixens website and the system installed in my (and probably your) SMB; nothing major, but something to be aware of. For example, my system has one electric heating element installed in the accumulator tank, not the two shown on the website.

My key take-aways:

1. These units typically have more capacity than we need in an insulated van, thus we often run them in a reduced manner. This results in the unit fouling internally over time.
2. One key operating procedure is found in the Periodic Maintenance section of the literature. I was not made aware of this and I have taken it to heart going forward: “Run your heater at least once a month during the year (for a minimum of 15 minutes)”. I now have a log that I keep in the van, in it I record when I run the heater in this maintenance mode.
3. In keeping with the above, when we run the heater we now set the thermostat on the maximum setting for 15 minutes before shutting it down. For example, we will set the thermostat where we want it when using the heater in the evening and then we will lower it down to 60 or so when sleeping and then adjust it back up in the morning, but before shutting it down and going down the road it gets run on high for 15 minutes.
4. Everything needs periodic maintenance and these heaters are no different. If the unit plugs up internally it will fail to start on successive attempts and you will get Fault Code 52, No Start Safety Time Exceeded. This typically means the Atomizing Screen is plugged and needs to be replaced. To do so the unit needs to be dropped and dis-assembled, the screen and associated O-rings and gaskets replaced, and then the unit re-installed. In the scheme of things this isn’t a terribly big job, but a simple way to approach it is to drop the unit and send it to Jim at Rixens where they will perform the maintenance and then send it back for you to install. Here are the parts that are required, I now carry them on-board with my other spares:
a. Item E12-111, D5 Hydronic Atomizing Screen w/O-Rings
b. Item E12-110, D5/D4 Gasket Kit for Model No. 25.2217/25.2218
5. When initially trouble-shooting a problem, there are key questions that need to be answered to help with the process. Verify these first in order to save time:
a. Verify fuel level in the van. Remember, the fuel tap for the heater is at the 1/4 full level, below that the heater will not have a fuel supply
b. Pull the heater fuse for a minute or so (hard reset), then try again
c. Verify adequate coolant level in the storage tank, correct is about 1" below the top of the tank
d. Verify coolant mixture dilution (to verify that 100% coolant was not used). The literature states: "The coolant solution must have anti-freeze. The recommended mixture is 60% water and 40% anti-freeze"
e. Verify water pump operation. You can do so via touch and sound, also by seeing liquid movement in the top of the storage tank
f. Verify fuel pump operation. The fuel pump makes a distinct "ticking" sound when it is running, locate where the fuel pump is installed and listen to it when it is running so you can identify that sound (or lack of sound) when needed
g. Verify that the intake and exhaust hoses are clear and not obstructed in any way
h. Go through the diagnostic mode on the Digi-Max and read the fault codes. Note that the system needs to be running, or attempting to run, in order to display the codes, thus you need to turn the system on when performing this operation

To be clear, I am very happy with the Espar D5 and the job it does and I intend to maintain it so that it can continue to do its job for many years to come. Hopefully my presentation of this information will help you to do the same.

I have attached a file that is an extract that I compiled from various sources. Due to file size limits I had to scan it as a black & white document. It looses something without the color, but all of the information can be found via the links provided.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Espar D5 TLF Extract (B+W).pdf (1.67 MB, 46 views)
Old 02-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #526

Fitz this is just amazing. Pure gold.

I'm still coming up to speed on all this... and this is a HUGE help on our probable class B planning. 2019 gas 170EB 4x4. Hopefully.

John
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
In my experience, I have found that the information supplied by SMB on the D5 system is a bit on the thin side. My van was delivered in September of 2016. The order sheet states: “Diesel/110V Furnace & Water Heater, continuous, no tank, Espar Hydronic”. The SMB manual supplied with the van is dated 09/2011, regarding the Espar system the manual contains the following note: “…not included in the Sportsmobile Owner’s Manual. See manufacturer’s literature for information…ESPAR MARINE AIR HEATER – 800-387-4800 www.espar.com”. Information found on the SMB website, the brief description on the order sheet, a four-page Digi-Max D1000 Operating Instruction/Mounting Instruction document and a multi-language Eberspacher CD dated 08/2011 are what I received.

For me, that wasn’t enough, so I have been doing some research. Reading on the internet will result in a lot of information, but like a lot of internet information that resource alone often results in confusion as much of the posted information is often negative. (People often take the time to complain or to look for answers to problems, they don’t often take the same time to praise or to report on good results.)

The SMB system is called the Mobile Comfort System and it is supplied to SMB by Rixens Enterprises Inc., located in Oregon. If you don’t remember anything else from what I am about to say, remember this: Jim Rixen is a knowledgeable and helpful resource who takes the time to respond and provide service. Here is the contact information:

Rixens Enterprises Inc.
37600 C Ruben Ln.
Sandy, Oregon 97055
Ph. 503-668-6090
Fax. 503-668-9424
JIM@rixens.com
jimrixen@gmail.com

Going into the Espar https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/ and Rixens http://rixens.com/ websites is a worthwhile exercise. If you only have time for one, go to the Rixens website, follow it to the Sprinter and Class B & C RV System Information section http://rixens.com/products-services/sprinter-class-b-and-c-rv/sprinter-and-class-b-c-rv-system-information/ and start reading. There you will find helpful diagrams and links that are well worth your time to review. One thing to note, there are subtle differences between the system shown on the Rixens website and the system installed in my (and probably your) SMB; nothing major, but something to be aware of. For example, my system has one electric heating element installed in the accumulator tank, not the two shown on the website.

My key take-aways:

1. These units typically have more capacity than we need in an insulated van, thus we often run them in a reduced manner. This results in the unit fouling internally over time.
2. One key operating procedure is found in the Periodic Maintenance section of the literature. I was not made aware of this and I have taken it to heart going forward: “Run your heater at least once a month during the year (for a minimum of 15 minutes)”. I now have a log that I keep in the van, in it I record when I run the heater in this maintenance mode.
3. In keeping with the above, when we run the heater we now set the thermostat on the maximum setting for 15 minutes before shutting it down. For example, we will set the thermostat where we want it when using the heater in the evening and then we will lower it down to 60 or so when sleeping and then adjust it back up in the morning, but before shutting it down and going down the road it gets run on high for 15 minutes.
4. Everything needs periodic maintenance and these heaters are no different. If the unit plugs up internally it will fail to start on successive attempts and you will get Fault Code 52, No Start Safety Time Exceeded. This typically means the Atomizing Screen is plugged and needs to be replaced. To do so the unit needs to be dropped and dis-assembled, the screen and associated O-rings and gaskets replaced, and then the unit re-installed. In the scheme of things this isn’t a terribly big job, but a simple way to approach it is to drop the unit and send it to Jim at Rixens where they will perform the maintenance and then send it back for you to install. Here are the parts that are required, I now carry them on-board with my other spares:
a. Item E12-111, D5 Hydronic Atomizing Screen w/O-Rings
b. Item E12-110, D5/D4 Gasket Kit for Model No. 25.2217/25.2218
5. When initially trouble-shooting a problem, there are key questions that need to be answered to help with the process. Verify these first in order to save time:
a. Verify fuel level in the van. Remember, the fuel tap for the heater is at the 1/4 full level, below that the heater will not have a fuel supply
b. Pull the heater fuse for a minute or so (hard reset), then try again
c. Verify adequate coolant level in the storage tank, correct is about 1" below the top of the tank
d. Verify coolant mixture dilution (to verify that 100% coolant was not used). The literature states: "The coolant solution must have anti-freeze. The recommended mixture is 60% water and 40% anti-freeze"
e. Verify water pump operation. You can do so via touch and sound, also by seeing liquid movement in the top of the storage tank
f. Verify fuel pump operation. The fuel pump makes a distinct "ticking" sound when it is running, locate where the fuel pump is installed and listen to it when it is running so you can identify that sound (or lack of sound) when needed
g. Verify that the intake and exhaust hoses are clear and not obstructed in any way
h. Go through the diagnostic mode on the Digi-Max and read the fault codes. Note that the system needs to be running, or attempting to run, in order to display the codes, thus you need to turn the system on when performing this operation

To be clear, I am very happy with the Espar D5 and the job it does and I intend to maintain it so that it can continue to do its job for many years to come. Hopefully my presentation of this information will help you to do the same.

I have attached a file that is an extract that I compiled from various sources. Due to file size limits I had to scan it as a black & white document. It looses something without the color, but all of the information can be found via the links provided.
Sounds like you've been having some issues.

How often were you running your system and for how long?

I am beginning to think /plan on a 5u secondary fuel filter for my sprinter and tap for the Espars downstream. Thoughts?
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #528

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSoundman View Post
Sounds like you've been having some issues.

How often were you running your system and for how long?

I am beginning to think /plan on a 5u secondary fuel filter for my sprinter and tap for the Espars downstream. Thoughts?
We ran it when we wanted it and ignored it the rest of the time. In hindsight, I blew it. Common sense tells me the unit should carbon up the way we used it, and it did. In the future, I will always default to running it more, not less. Just like our engines are high speed diesels that don’t like long periods of idling, the D5 wants to be run at capacity in order to keep the system clean.

As to the supplemental fuel filter, I don’t see the need. I do not believe it would have helped in my use case as I don’t believe it gets to the root of the problem which was simply not firing the unit hard enough to keep it clean.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #529

For those who may not be aware, this unit is referred to as a "Rixen D5" and not an "Espar D5" because Rixen takes an Espar D5 and supplements it with a number of their own components. If you order an Espar D5 from them or someone carrying Espar products, you will not get the same thing you get if you order a Rixen D5. Again, the Rixen D5 = Espar D5 + supplemental components.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
For those who may not be aware, this unit is referred to as a "Rixen D5" and not an "Espar D5" because Rixen takes an Espar D5 and supplements it with a number of their own components. If you order an Espar D5 from them or someone carrying Espar products, you will not get the same thing you get if you order a Rixen D5. Again, the Rixen D5 = Espar D5 + supplemental components.
great info. thanks.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade