Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
If you have been through this entire (long) thread you will recognize the picture below. Today the process was completed, keep reading....

The original picture above was posted 12/3/16 (Post #204, page 21)

Then on 4/9/17 (Post #334, page 34) Ron & Barb (Mer1039) showed up with their new van...

Next came Michael (michaelf) on 10/8/17 (Post 465, page 47)...

And today the loop was closed when Matt & Katie (Velo47) pulled up in their beautiful new van...

12/3/16 to 3/26/18 - just a bit over 16 months. It has been great to follow everyone's progress and exciting to see the end results, as I am sure you will agree!

Laura & I are going to meet up with Matt & Katie at Overland Expo in Flagstaff in May, who else is going to show up and join us?

We have our tickets to Expo West!! Unfortunately our M2CA4X will not arrive from Düsseldorf yet so we will drive out in the 100 Series Cruiser!

We head out from El Dorado Hills on Tuesday and returning home on Monday. We will look for you guys!

offroadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #552

BroncoHauler,

Guilty as charged!!!!!
Old 03-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #553

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadkid View Post
We have our tickets to Expo West!! Unfortunately our M2CA4X will not arrive from Düsseldorf yet so we will drive out in the 100 Series Cruiser!

We head out from El Dorado Hills on Tuesday and returning home on Monday. We will look for you guys!
offroadkid,

PM sent.

Is your new van to stay as-is, be a DIY project, go to SMB or ???? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 03-26-2018, 10:38 PM   #554

Quote:
offroadkid,

PM sent.

Is your new van to stay as-is, be a DIY project, go to SMB or ???? Inquiring minds want to know!
We stopped into SMB on the way down to visit my Aunt & Uncle a few Fridays ago and to our surprise were treated to a factory tour from the President Jonathan!

We liked the builds, but haven't decided if we want to try build it ourselves to suit our needs/wants!

We already have a Dometic 50qt 12v fridge/freezer and a Yeti Goal Zero 400 that we take out with us in our Land Cruiser. We stayed last March in Anza Borrego and that suited us the 4 days we were there! For hot water we have a Zodi Hot Camp Shower and two 5 Gal Jerry Cans, (or the creek or river we camp by)! I think that for starters we will use that set-up. I have watched kenetube on YouTube and already plan to run the diesel heater under the passenger seat! I think that and some 265 KO2's will be the first mod along with noise dampening and insulation to start.

Thanks for inquiring!
offroadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #555

Another Van Compass "Gotta Have"

Van Compass recently came out with a rear differential skid plate for the Sprinter (Transit also). Like all of their offerings, fit and finish is first rate and the total install took me about 45 minutes by myself in the driveway.

Here is the link if you want to see more pictures and the simple installation instructions: https://www.vancompass.com/collectio...late-2007-2500

And here is what the finished product looks like installed on Flint:

This makes a nice addition and provides protection in an otherwise vulnerable location.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #556

Quote:
Van Compass recently came out with a rear differential skid plate for the Sprinter (Transit also). Like all of their offerings, fit and finish is first rate and the total install took me about 45 minutes by myself in the driveway.

Here is the link if you want to see more pictures and the simple installation instructions: https://www.vancompass.com/collectio...late-2007-2500

And here is what the finished product looks like installed on Flint:

This makes a nice addition and provides protection in an otherwise vulnerable location.
The pic doesn't really don't justice...it is a very nice piece and is pretty low profile. It's on my list.
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:14 PM   #557

Thanks again to Fitz for paving the way! Looks like another addition for me on my delivery trip home. I'm now stopping at Van Compass for sure on my way home. I'll need to contact mark and order the Sumo stops and this additional skid plate before I arrive.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #558

Rear Differential Breather Vent

I recently installed the new Van Compass rear differential guard on Flint, Post #555 (a nice addition). When I was doing so, I noticed a problem, see if you can see it in the picture I posted at the time:

Here's a closer look. What you are looking at is the melted end of the rear differential breather vent tube that somehow broke free and came in contact with the hot exhaust. The end was completely melted closed and the remainder of the assembly was nowhere to be found.

I cut off the melted end of the tube so the vent could do its job, then I had to determine what to do next. I had no idea where the vent terminated, so I contacted VtSoundman and he crawled under his van to look. It turns out the vent runs to the frame rail located in the middle of the van and terminates there, I suspect with a check valve on the end of it. Here is the termination location, picture courtesy of VtSoundman. The vent tube is the uppermost one shown in the picture, you can see where it enters and disappears into the frame rail.

So what to do? Lots of simple and relatively inexpensive solutions, but....

Here is what I ended up with: ARB Differential Breather Kit (170112) Relatively expensive? Yes, but very well made and it comes with a high level of confidence that it will be a final solution.

I located the body of the breather vent under the hood, conveniently attached to the ARB air compressor mounted there. The breather is the middle air filter, identical to the two on either side of it on the air compressor. A remote breather vent located up high under the hood is a typical location for a much more aggressive off-road vehicle than Flint. I don't ever expect to see water above the original location, but now I have one less thing to worry about if the water ever does get that deep.

BTW, I carry two rubber cane tips sized for the inlet and outlet lines of the D5. Again, I don't expect to see water that deep, but if there is a chance of it I will stop and quickly install the caps.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #559

Fitz,

Another great bit of information! This will make a nice retrofit. I'll tackle this this summer.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #560

As always, thanks for the great problem solving and sharing information that you do, Fitz.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade