Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #731

Hi Tim, your recent posts on having a torx socket for extended tows is a really good tip. I didn’t have that in my “oh crap” kit. Have you posted a list of all you carry on your tool kit?

SCTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloya View Post
Hi Tim,
Today was a down day for me and spent the whole day ready your forum. I had read bits and pieces but today was start to finish. As always pickup something new every time.
Sam,

You must have been bored, that's a lot to wade through! I haven't posted much lately, it seems as if life has kept me overly busy in other areas...hoping to be able to slow down a bit once 2020 is in the rear view mirror.

Happy Thanksgiving to you & Sharon and to all others here on the forum!

Tim
Old 11-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTN View Post
Have you posted a list of all you carry on your tool kit?
I have not, but i keep a list and it won't be hard to do. Let's consider it a 2021 goal!
Old 01-03-2021, 12:01 PM   #734

2020 Year-In-Review

2020 Year-In-Review Stats...no longer working full time as of mid-December...

How to describe the year? I think it best to let each of us fill in the blanks for ourselves, as I'm sure we all have our stories to tell...

62,616 - 44,431 = 18,185 miles and 79 nights spent in 2020 (vs. 10,950 and 30 nights in 2019.)

COVID-19 dictated the year once it arrived, for me that initially meant working from home 6-7 days a week. Once Laura figured out that life pretty much consisted of me sitting in my home office working she did the wise thing and loaded up Flint and went on a self-isolation geological tour. That's one of the great things about Flint, Laura is more than comfortable driving it on her own and so she did a grand tour visiting all of the out-of-the-way places a Geologist in the West particularly loves. Between this trip and her trip to Pakistan, Laura put on some miles, both on the ground and in the air, this year!

As for me, lots of work in 2020 culminated in a most disappointing way when the refinery I worked at was forced to close. (COVID-19 market destruction of the refining industry is the catch-phrase that was often used.) My last day was December 18th and I consider myself one of the lucky ones as I am able to transition into early retirement and begin the next phase of whatever life has to bring. Bring it on!

We got to use the van quite a bit on a series of short trips over the last quarter of the year, but for now Flint is going to be pressed into more of a "normal" use pattern as we work to prep, sell and buy a new house as we strive to "downsize". Children and grandchildren dictate that we will stay in the area, I'm thinking that the next 6 months will be filled with all of the activities required to re-settle before we get time to really put Flint out on the road again. But then off we will go!

Hopefully next years update will be filled with van travel and project updates. The BFG KO2's were replaced with Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's early on in the year and with almost 20k on them I can say I much prefer them to the KO2's.

Wishing you all a happy and safe 2021....

Tim & Laura

Old 01-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #735

Year End

Happy New Year and welcome to semi retirement...!!!

A funny thing happened while I was reading your post, I noticed I was wearing the same long sleeve shirt. Ha ha...

My nephew was working at a refinery in Martinez that closed. He is moving back to Clovis and going back to being a MillRight.

Currently in Vegas picking up a new pup, going to see him for the first time.

More later.
Sloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #736

Well happy semi-retirement Tim. Sucks but you'll make the best of it. Happy trails.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #737

Great report, and congrats!

Please say more about the Falkens...
mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #738

Hey Tim, sorry and happy to hear of your early retirement. We didn’t come close to 79 nights out, but hoping for more this year. Looking forward to meeting up with another geologist (and you) when conditions permit.

David
Beached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #739

2021 Year-In-Review

2021 Year-In-Review Stats…fully retired and wondering how I ever found the time to work…

I’ve been on the Forum regularly during the year, but you may have noticed I haven’t been very active. I found myself suddenly retired at the end of December last year, and this year has been filled with using Flint as a cargo van. Trips to the dump, trips to and from storage, trips to the lumber yard, the list goes on.

67,248 – 62,616 = 4,632 miles and 27 nights spent in the van in 2021 (vs. 18,185 miles and 79 nights in 2020). We didn’t drive enough miles this past year to even need to rotate the tires! There was only one “fun” fishing trip in 2020, most of the rest of the nights were spent when the house was staged and we couldn’t stay in it or when we were living out of the van between houses. In 2021 we prepped the house for sale (big job), sold it, moved everything we owned into storage, found another house (1953 original construction) and bought it, moved everything out of storage, and then dove into a large grading, drainage, hardscape (66 yards of concrete poured) and landscape project. We are nearly complete with the exterior work, with CA rain currently holding up the last of it.

As part of the move, Flint lost his nice backyard covered parking spot. We poured a pad, installed gates, and I am currently finishing up new fencing to enclose his new parking space, which is easily seen right outside the kitchen door. Gone is the overhead cover, but I may have future thoughts about this once other priorities are met. We will see what the future holds.

We still have plenty of work to do around the new place, but hopefully 2022 will see the utility trailer left behind as we use the van once again for its intended purpose. We will be starting off with a trip to AZ in a couple of weeks, it’s time to put some desert sand under the wheels! I will say this, having the van available as a home on wheels and as our cargo hauler during this transition has been a real stress reliever. We were able to “go with the flow” and not worry about being between houses as we searched for the home we finally found, which we plan will be the last one we will ever buy. We will see how that plan works out!

First on the van to-do list for the year is to empty EVERYTHING out, deep clean and re-stock, getting rid of everything that hasn’t been touched in the last few years. I’m sure there will be some surprises as we dig into the deep recesses ….

Wishing everyone a HAPPY, SAFE AND PRODUCTIVE NEW YEAR. Now it’s time to find out what 2022 has to offer!
Old 01-03-2022, 12:20 PM   #740

Happy 😊 New Year

Hi Tim,
Congratulations on your retirement.!

Sharon and I both wondered how we found time to do everything since retirement. We will be in Arizona on February 18 to 20th attending the SOT planned trip. We will more than likely be in Havasu prior and after the trip. If your timing is the same let's get together and relax for a break.

S&S
Sloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade