Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2024, 05:43 PM   #771

Overhead Console Light Replacement

Just because I was in there, I replaced the OEM overhead console light bulbs with LED's when I recently replaced the antenna assembly. These are the lights I used, new on the left and old on the right:

Replacing the bulbs didn't throw a code and the light is better, so I'll call it a win.

Like so many things, removal of the light covers and the console itself is easy after you have done it once. Here are some pictures that will help if you ever find yourself needing access to this area:

Old 05-10-2024, 08:42 PM   #772

On the Road Glass Repair - Worth the Time?

On our recent 28-day eclipse (and other things) trip we took a couple of rocks to the windshield. The windshield already had two existing horizontal cracks in it, one low and one high and each about a foot long, neither of which obscures the drivers vision. I was afraid that the new chips would spread to join the existing cracks, especially as we were heading into cold weather and at the beginning of our trip, so I picked up two repair kits and put them to use one afternoon prior to a day of hiking at Natural Bridges National Monument in Utah.

We continued on our trip and have since made it home and now it's been almost eight weeks since the repair with no additional cracking, thus so far so good.

What do you think, was it worth the time to make the repair to (hopefully) avoid having a visibility issue for the rest of the trip? The windshield has 100k miles on it so I know I am only extending the inevitable, but the windshield is a heated one with embedded wires in it and I know it's going to be an expensive experience to have it replaced when the time does come.

Was I just lucky or was the repair time well spent?
Old 05-11-2024, 06:59 AM   #773

I always carry a windshield repair kit in our van and repair any rock dings as soon as possible (within minutes would be best) to try to avoid cracking. The Sprinter windshield is a rock magnet because of the size and vertical position of the glass compared to most cars. I always carry a Permatex repair kit. They are $14 on Amazon and much cheaper than the cost of a new windshield or my insurance deductible. I am sure that they don't always work but it is a no-brainer to at least try them. Here is a good review of the different repair kits.

https://youtu.be/2fxxfZDOD1U?si=WkxDy9WynUOKfLRu
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 03:58 PM   #774

Interesting YouTube video, thanks for sending. I don't remember what brand the kits that I used were, they were the only ones available at the small auto parts store I went to, but I do remember that the two of them cost me almost $50 thus your advice to purchase the Permatex kits before they are needed is a sound one.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:34 PM   #775

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

The maintenance service procedure on my 2016 Sprinter calls for checking the level of the diesel particulate filter (DPF) starting at 100,000 miles, and then every 20,000 miles after that.

While there are some after-market cleaning products and procedures out there, the MB design is that the DPF gets replaced when it is full.

As I understand the terms, the DPF ingests “soot”. Regeneration burns the “soot” and turns it to “ash”, it is the “ash” that is left behind and that eventually fills up and plugs the DPF. I am not sure how the ash level is measured, but I don’t believe it is a weighed or measured value, rather that it is either a calculated value based on the number of regenerations or it is derived from the pressure differential across the DPF. I need to do more homework on this point.

Having just hit the 100k milestone I had the DPF level checked. Shown below is a screen print from the video the MB service tech sent me showing the results of the DPF level test. Note that the Ash Content is shown as 1.2g, which is well under the limit shown of 2.6g. Recall that soot gets burned off during regeneration, thus the levels shown that relate to soot will change (decrease) after the next regeneration cycle.

I have a Blue Driver code reader, here is a screen print of the DPF related fields (Regen not in progress) taken the same day as the data above. Note that the DPF Filter Bank 1 Delta Pressure of 0.218 psi shown at idle in the picture below increases appreciably at highway speed, the highest I’ve seen so far is 2.234 psi. I do not know yet if I can correlate this Delta P reading to the Ash Content, but I will track the numbers going forward and see what conclusions I can draw.

As I said above, during regeneration the soot burns to ash. Here are two more screen shots, the first taken near the beginning of a regeneration and the other near the end. In this case the delta pressure changes from 2.045 psi to 0.696 psi (Note that this is while at speed, not at idle).

Monitoring the DPF level and avoiding having an issue while on the road is the goal. With the results I see (1.2g vs. 2.6g) all is currently well within accepted parameters.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:54 PM   #776

Great post. Thanks for doing this.

Did they give you any idea of what they would charge to replace the DPF? I have heard number like $3000-$4000. I would be tempted to try to clean it if I ever reached the point where it was needed. Some of the youtube cleaning videos make it look like a fairly easy process if it worked.

https://youtu.be/xDzyC7zALXU?si=V7CgkY1qYzwrPhEJ

https://youtu.be/TJQ-eEW-4q4?si=zWMYXGsW9MCOS3M9
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:04 PM   #777

I did not ask for DPF replacement pricing. With the Ash Content numbers I'm seeing it seems the price will be out-of-date (hopefully) before I need it.

I have seen some of the cleaning options and will look at what you linked, if you choose to clean vs. replace just be sure you have the ability to re-set the ash content in the computer after cleaning the DPF.

I will watch for new cleaning options as they become available, hopefully that will give me the information I need to make a decision when the time comes.

Looking back, I wish I had gotten an Ash Content reading (or readings) at some point prior to reaching the 100k milestone. It would be nice to be able to follow the progression. If you have a reading, please share!

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade