Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #361

Hey Tim,
What size socket for the threaded studs for the lugs? Slowly compiling toolbox items to prep for the van. Thanks.
Michael

michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #362

Socket Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelf View Post
Hey Tim,
What size socket for the threaded studs for the lugs? Slowly compiling toolbox items to prep for the van. Thanks.
Michael
The wheel lug is 17mm, the lock nut that SMB Texas put on is 19mm. You will have to ask Fresno what size you need for the lock.

And the much-anticipated delivery date is currently scheduled for........????
Old 05-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #363

Awesome vehicle! Thanks for the detailed thread, it is a big help in deciding what to order.
8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
Awesome vehicle! Thanks for the detailed thread, it is a big help in deciding what to order.
Anything I can do to help you spend more on your SMB is a good thing! We just came back from a trip up the north coast - all around Mendocino - and had a great time. Next is south to the Big Trees - time to show our Icelandic branch of the family the General Sherman tree!
Old 05-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #365

Thanks Tim. I'll check with SMB but went ahead and got a torque wrench to carry in the van so I can pick up the socket anytime. Plus just got some work done on my Tundra and with all these wheel issues that seem to be popping up it'll be good to have around regardless. I've always just checked by feel but now I can be all official with my lug nut torque.

3rd week in July last I checked. I might not get to make a trip down between now and then though which is a bit disappointing.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #366
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelf View Post
...3rd week in July last I checked. I might not get to make a trip down between now and then though which is a bit disappointing.
Your build at happening at SMB-W? If so, post a request for pics here and maybe someone can take some for you. Not the same as a visit, but it will give you a little taste.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...its-55-29.html

Herb
Old 05-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #367

^ Thanks Herb. Mine is the most recent post there. Through Tim I was able to contact KC (aka Dawghandler) and get some pics about 2 weeks ago when they were down there. I'd love to make another trip, but with work and life...things tend to get in the way of all the fun.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:02 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I recently bought some "poptop tape" from the sportsmobile store. It goes between the poptop and the roof to protect the roof. I had a little spot already worn to bare metal- probably from movement of poptop against the roof.

Here is what the final product looks like:

Thanks for the tip Fitz. I just hit 10,000 miles on my sprinter and saw wear spots under the poptop today and ordered the tape also. In your pictures, it looks like your poptop canvas have been seam sealed. Did you seal it because you had leaks or just was it just your normal thoroughness?

Thanks,
David
Beached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:54 AM   #369

Beached,

I can make no claim to thoroughness in this case....this is the way SMB Texas produced it.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:19 PM   #370

More on Rust

Member Kelp posted this thread not long ago about rust at the cut locations of his Sprinter: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ust-19171.html

I finally had the opportunity to spend some time with this, here are some examples of what I found on my 2016 SMB Texas Sprinter:

It is interesting to note that every location was different and that the worst I saw was from the single screw penetrations. I made it a point to treat each of these small diameter penetrations as best I could, including dipping the screw into POR-15 just prior to reinserting it.

I used a combination of silicone, butyl tape, sandpaper and POR-15 to make my repairs. Each penetration had to be looked at individually and each treated a bit differently based on condition and access.

Here is a treated example, the large opening cut-out for the shore power plug.

Thanks to member Kelp for calling this to my/our attention. It deserves looking at.

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade