Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #1

Forum Newbie About to Take Possession of a Sprinter SMB

Hello all. I stumbled across this forum and am making my way back in time through the treasure trove of information here.

I am about to take possession of an '07 Dodge Sprinter (RB, low roof, gas engine) with 4k miles on it. It was sent to SMB Austin in 2010 for a penthouse roof, A/C, fridge, swivel front seats, lots of windows and a full electrical system. Then the owner (a family member) decided he would take it elsewhere for further finish out, which never happened. He has used it approximately never and offered it to me for what CarMax was willing to give him for it. I understand this to be about half of what he has in it.

I'm in the early stages of planning a return to SMB Austin for some additional seating/sleeping area and insulation/finish out of the rear of the van. Other than the cabinet that houses the fridge and A/C, the entire cargo area (other than the added windows) is factory. Wife hates it already, so it will be used mostly for weekend trips for me and some friends to fishing destinations around the DFW area.

Just wanted to say hello and that I'll be bouncing some ideas off of the forum in the coming weeks.

Graham

gs1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #2

Re: Forum Newbie About to Take Possession of a Sprinter SMB

Cool, cool, cool cool cool.

Photos?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #3

welcome to the forum Graham.
congrats on your first post and your new rig.
just curious, why does your wife not like the van?
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #4

Jage, thanks. No photos yet. I think I'm going to use the rig for a TV move this weekend and may try to grab some. If you've seen a RB white '07 Sprinter with some windows added, you've seen this one. Pretty nondescript on the exterior (purposefully so as it is not garaged). Inside, all the fireworks are housed in a white laminate cabinet with some sort of solid surface countertop. Hopefully the good stuff is soon to come.

Windguy, my wife was forever scarred when her grandparents took her on some sort of cross-country trip when she was young. I still can't figure out if it was a pop-up or a cheap 70's bumper pull, but she's pretty negative on all of my plans for RVs, camping, etc. I deal with it - guy time is important. I'm working on her to at least try a night in the SMB with me (and our 13 month old daughter), but have a ways to go. She works in fashion and needs her showers. Roughing it is not her style, where I have the attitude that if not for my job, shaving and bathing would be a less frequent occurrence.

Thanks for the welcomes. I was worried when I had no replies - I thought I'd joined a club to which I wasn't invited.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

Forum Newbie About to Take Possession of a Sprinter SMB

Welcome.

You are.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1s
Thanks for the welcomes. I was worried when I had no replies - I thought I'd joined a club to which I wasn't invited.
you're welcome. this is a great forum for sharing ideas about your van or travel without the personal attacks, so it's a friendly place. most of the time folks respond very quickly to a question or to share their thoughts. great to see another Sprinter poster out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1s
my wife was forever scarred when her grandparents took her on some sort of cross-country trip when she was young. I still can't figure out if it was a pop-up or a cheap 70's bumper pull, but she's pretty negative on all of my plans for RVs, camping, etc. I deal with it - guy time is important. I'm working on her to at least try a night in the SMB with me (and our 13 month old daughter), but have a ways to go. She works in fashion and needs her showers. Roughing it is not her style, where I have the attitude that if not for my job, shaving and bathing would be a less frequent occurrence.
thanks for enlightening me. sounds like your wife needs some RV therapy if there is such a thing. I think alcohol used to be used for this type of thing.

It's understandable about her not wanting to rough it, especially if her orientation was from a childhood camping trip from hell. I think we've all had a few of those.

I'm sure other more seasoned forum members will chime in with suggestions but "camping" in the driveway for starters would seem like an easy way to try it out without too much commitment. A romantic candlelight dinner might be a nice intro. Baby steps is always the best approach. Camping with your daughter will be extra special so there's a big plus. Good luck with that my friend!
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #7

Even for day trips, the van platform absolutely rules for cruising with the kiddos. Ever try to change a diaper under the back hatch of a station wagon with the cold wind blowing by? I'll take the van every time, thank you very much! Baby steps, and you'll get your wife on board I'm sure.

Looking forward to seeing some pics - welcome!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #8

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0077.JPG   IMG_0078.JPG  
Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #9

Nice looking van Graham. With no rear seat, where/how do you secure the baby seat? I assume you will also have SMB install window coverings (blinds or drapes) - that is something your wife would probably want for privacy. Does the van have an onboard generator for the A/C? Keep us posted and happy trails!

Dan
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenard
Nice looking van Graham. With no rear seat, where/how do you secure the baby seat? I assume you will also have SMB install window coverings (blinds or drapes) - that is something your wife would probably want for privacy. Does the van have an onboard generator for the A/C? Keep us posted and happy trails!

Dan
Thanks Dan. Next up for the van is a trip back down to SMB Austin for additional seating (with belts to secure a child seat I hope!). Insulation, wall panels and window coverings will also be done. No onboard generator. Plugs in to shore power, or I have a friend with a seldom used Honda 2000 I can borrow.