Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #11

Front dining table and laptop mount for Sprinters

Nice job. I like it. I am looking forward to seeing the plans.
-don

DonSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #12

Re: Front dining table and laptop mount for Sprinters

nice design! does the leg come off for storage? Can the parts (excluding the table top) fit under the driver seat?
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #13

Nice Dave! I like the table but really like the laptop for onroad use even more! Sweet setup. I would like to make a suggestion but don't want to sound like I'm knocking your design. I found plastic cup holder inserts for tables on Amazon and on several marine supply sites (like Defender.com). They might look a little more factory made than the cardboard ones. Also, they might stand up to condensation from drinks, etc. better over the long term. Some of them have a screw hole (or drain hole) right in the middle of the bottom so you could mount them like you have yours (flush instead of inserted). Anyway, just an idea if you haven't thought of it, it looks great!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #14

Spenard, the leg comes off with two setscrews on the sleeve at the bottom. The wood mounting comes off with two wood screws on the bottom that hold some wires that go inside the DIM slot. The wires are hooked into some holes in the DIM slot and they come out after you unhook them. Then you can put the factory plastic insert back in the hole. The wood mounting is about 20 inches long so it will not store under a seat. But I see no reason to take it out unless you are taking the van in for service and it might get in the way if they need to get to the transmission under the floor. Without the table in place you have room to turn each seat while sitting in it.

Scotty, The cup holders on amazon do look nice and are a good option for anyone making one of these. However, the ones I saw are 2.5 inches in diameter and the large drinks I have need a 3 inch holder. The cardboard tubes that I used hang over the edge a little so they will drain to the floor. The latex paint should handle getting wet. I should have filled the spiral indentation in the tube before painting so they look better. This tube is a very heavy-duty one so strength is not an issue.

By the way, we just found these 24 oz beverage containers (sitting on the table above) at Menards. The screw-on lid has a good seal and they are dishwasher and microwave safe. I have been looking for years for one that doesn't leak and can go in the dishwasher and microwave.

David