Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #21

We had a similar dilemma. Have owned quite a few Fords, and really like them. But, when we went to drive one, the cockpit configuration was really uncomfortable for my husband. He’s quite tall, and his knee space was limited. There was a better layout in the Sprinter, for us. My suggestion is to drive both at a dealer, and see what suits you. We just picked up our Sprinter last week after a 17 month wait, and we love it!

Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #22

Garage
I've got a 2017 Transit, regular wheelbase, low roof, eco boost engine, Sportsmobile Penthouse. I love it. Get 20 mpg. Have 45,000 miles. Never had a problem, and if I do, there's a Ford dealer everywhere with mechanics very familiar with that platform. Love the dashboard arrange on the Transit as well, not to mention the price difference. If I were buying again today, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Transit.
bidgoodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
With how Ford handled the engines in the Econoline series (i.e. sticking with the 2V motors), does anyone know if the transits get the current or previous gen 3.5TT? They added port injection on the 2nd/current gen 3.5TT, which if you've ever owned a DI engine - is a big deal. I would not be shocked if it was still a 1st gen version in the van though.
Transit's EcoBoost V6 option for 2020 is still the first generation direction injection [only] engine. However the new base Transit engine for 2020 is a 3.5 PFDi (Port Fuel and Direct injection) V6 designed for fleet service and features two injectors per cylinder, one port injector and one direct injector.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:03 PM   #24

Have you tried out a high roof Transit? The Sprinter willl accommodate someone up to about 6’2”. The high roof Transit is quite a bit shorter. A taller person would need to order the very high roof model of Transit, which does indeed look odd.
We considered both but went with a diesel high roof Sprinter for its size and 4x4 option. Some of our shorter friends love their Transit.
I too was worried about the Sprinter diesel, but so far no problems. And it gets great fuel economy compared to our old gas vehicle.
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #25

Good to hear the diesel is working for you.

I'm over 6' so I'd definitely want the very high roof. I'm ok if it's a little odd, I'm more focus on build quality, ride, noise and reliability from the van itself.
I'm interested in all-wheel drive, but don't have a need for serious 4x4.
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas engine, sprinter, transit