Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #1

Gaucho Feedback

Finally placed the order for our new 4x4 144 this week. Of course, we have a year now to work on the build specs. My current thinking around basic layout is with a Gaucho upfront. I like open feel and expect the the walkthrough space to be useful.

As quick background, our use will be 1-2 people about 2/3s of the time, meaning nobody riding in the Gaucho. The other 1/3 of the time we will have 3-4 people. These trips will usually be 4-8 hour drives to long-weekend destinations.

I've read most of the related threads about "30 vs 50", etc., but I am looking for specific feedback on adult passenger comfort in the Gaucho on during 4-8 hour drive. Some comments have mentioned comfort as an issue due to the van walls, but I haven't seen a lot of specifics.

Ultimately, I believe the Gaucho layout will best meet most of our needs, but I'd hate to have a situation where the ride comfort is so bad, that we can't use the van for 3-4 person trips. Or, the passengers are kind of miserable during the ride.

Looking for actually experiences here if possible. Thanks in advance for your input on this issue (and many more to come!).

barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #2

Sideway seating drives my crazy personally. Also it's impossible to provide safe restraints, short of 5-point harnesses with head bolsters.

If you have a window behind the gaucho, and keep the seat height low-ish, I think the seating comfort would be ok, other than the sitting sideways thing.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #3

I sure wouldn't want to ride sideways for an eight-hour trip. If you are looking to have travel be pleasant for a long trip for four people, your best bet is either a layout with a second row of captain's chairs, or the "50" layout bench facing forward.

We have sideways-facing dinette benches, which are pretty comfy, but I still wouldn't want to be back there for more than an hour or so during a drive.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #4

Just did trip to Bend from SD and back, my mother in law came along and she sat in the front. My wife was delegated to sit on the gaucho and it wasn't pleasant. She told me that she hated it and indicated that we make a mistake with this layout. However, our rig was never designed for more than 2 adults and our two children.

I am going to add one forward facing removable captain chair for the occasion of taking a third adult occupant along. In addition, I will also add a center jump seat between the driver and passenger seat for a small kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 PM   #5

Not only would a gaucho be less than optimal for long rides but it is also very narrow for 2 people to sleep comfortably. Lay out the dimensions on a floor and try it.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:31 PM   #6

My gaucho dimension is quite roomy for 2 adults. Sleeping is not an issue for us whatsoever, in fact I enjoy my gaucho way more than the PH top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guacho