Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #1

Generator help

We recently purcahsed a pre-owned RB Sportsmobile Sprinter Van, and we're ready to give it a trial run. We'd like to spend some time off the beaten track, so we want to maximize our self-contained capacity. We would appreciate any advice regarding purchasing a 30 amp generator. Any recommendations as to brands and where to store it in the vehicle would really help!

sherryhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #2

Re: Generator help

Welcome

i have a yamaha 2400 watt generator
only purchased to run roof air

our rig was designed to be self contained with solar and batteries

perhaps if you posted some pictures and details of your rig we could better help you

IMHO a couple of solar panels. a sure power isolator and 400 amp hours of battery storage
should keep you running indefinatly

we always like pics

but let us know details on:
tv/dvd
fridge
lights, led, stock
laptop
microwave

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #3

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

I have 2-7amp solar panels so we are pretty well fixed but, in cases where we are in days of rain, I just use my Sprinter engine as my generator. I have an adjustable idle control so I can idle it at whatever rpm I want. It is quiter than some of the portable generators I have heard.

Regards,

Keith
Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #4

Thank you so much for your suggestions, Bill and Keith. It will help us as we talk with our local dealers this week. We're new to posting, so I'm still trying to figure out the logistics. I'll take some photos, then work on how to post them! Our sportsmobile is a 2004 Sprinter Van and did not come with a TV/DVD or laptop. It does have a small fridge, microwave, and marine toilet w/shower. It had 35,000 miles when we purchased it a few weeks back and it seems to be in perfect shape. We're planning to do an overnight at a local state park this week, so we'll see. We looked at Bill's photos and liked the way you mounted the truck box and bicycles. We plan to do something similar with ours.
Thanks, again!
sherryhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #5

Unless you are trying to run an AC unit while stopped, you don't need a 30A generator. 1-2000 Watts should be more than enough.

The biggest reason you might need to run a generator at all is a weak or bad house battery or extended dry camping. We have two house batteries (as opposed to starting batteries) and can go ~3 days on battery power alone. With our 130W solar panel we never have run out of battery power.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote