Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2021, 12:31 AM   #11

Here is a video of the installation of the Van Compass hidden winch bumper, along with some tips and add ons, and also reasons why I prefer the hidden winch bumper over an aftermarket bumper. https://youtu.be/9DW-6cA9YiA

I meant to give Fitz photo credit for the above photo.

Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #12

After studying the options for my 2020 Sprinter, I committed to Aluminess bumpers, front and rear. The Aluminess front bumper has a heftier profile than most, and some might consider it to be too much, but it's more in line with the bulletproof steel GoWesty VW bumpers I've used on my Synchro rig for ten years. Aluminum wraparound protection brings peace of mind in tough situations. Like that near-miss with a running bull elk at night on a highway in Wyoming a few weeks ago. Just my opinion.
kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post
After studying the options for my 2020 Sprinter, I committed to Aluminess bumpers, front and rear. The Aluminess front bumper has a heftier profile than most, and some might consider it to be too much, but it's more in line with the bulletproof steel GoWesty VW bumpers I've used on my Synchro rig for ten years. Aluminum wraparound protection brings peace of mind in tough situations. Like that near-miss with a running bull elk at night on a highway in Wyoming a few weeks ago. Just my opinion.
I am considering the Aluminess front bumper. Did you add fog lights? Did you install it yourself?
Pharkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:03 PM   #14
Spr

I'm in the same boat, but I'm deciding between the CAtuned bumper and the hidden winch mount. I like the idea of having something a little beefier up front but not too overwhelming like the full bumper setup. Either way we just spent some time stuck up in the snow off road and a winch would have been pretty handy. Thank god we had the traction boards.... If anyone has any insight on the CAtuned hammerhead including how much it weighs please share.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:46 AM   #15

The CA Tuned Hammerhead is the most aesthetically pleasing option to me. I'm leaning towards the Aluminess for more corner protection. Thanksgiving night we hooked up with a whitetail in my Chevy Malibu. We were only traveling about 30mph and the deer was at full sprint. It hit the driver's side corner of the Malibu. The Malibu, just like my VS30 Sprinter, has a very soft front end, especially in the front corners. This low speed collision with the deer did overwhelming damage. The Sprinter passenger side has the def tank and the driver's side has the plastic oil filter housing. A low speed collision such as the one with my Malibu can easily disable the Sprinter if either of those areas are damaged. Of interest, we were two cars traveling together Thanksgiving night. The deer ran out of the woods and attempted to cross between the front and rear car.
Old 12-23-2021, 08:50 AM   #16

Most around me use go with the Backwoods bumpers, which do look very nice and appear to be very well made and strong.
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:41 PM   #17

I thought the backwoods and Aluminess looked similar, but the Aluminess has the bull bar and brush guards around the lights for added protection.