Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
You can always just seal it up with silicone temporarily to get you out on the road, I wouldn't let it stop you from any travel plans.....

2003 Ford E-350 SMB RB-50
7.3L w/DP tuner & 4" exhaust
Quigley 4X4 (heavily modified)
CCV high profile insulated pop top

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #12

This is definitely a MB issue. My Sprinter has the same cover (but solidly sealed). I assumed that it was for the OEM backup camera, not used by SMB. See your dealer ASAP.
JIM

-light of the morning, looking for shelter in this thunder and this rain

2012 SMB Sprinter, 2500 EB Tall, Brilliant Silver Metalic
12vdc no inverter, 180 w Permanent Solar, 120 w Portable Solar
Queen platform bed
(Delivery Taken 7/23/12) NM 31357RVB
JayBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #13

Garage
Mercedes Warranty-5yr/100K miles covers this

Got an answer right away from MB Sacramento (Loren Wilson) who is awesome. Covered under warranty, never seen one before so we are a first--have to take in and have no idea how long it will take. Glad they stand behind it and hoping no one else has this issue.
hildems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:18 AM   #14

This brings me to a question, I ordered the Sprinter with the stock back up camera is that going to be in the way of the penthouse? I still have time to change order if that's the case, but not much time, I'm going to have to finalize soon.
Nordicjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:35 AM   #15
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Nordicjump, hildems had mentioned in his post above that the PH top clears the hole by 3-4". I would check with SMB just to confirm there's no other interference with adding the factory camera like wiring that would be in the way. Otherwise, just have them add one. In fact there are several factory options that are not compatible with SMB build outs, double check if you're not ordering through them.

2003 Ford E-350 SMB RB-50
7.3L w/DP tuner & 4" exhaust
Quigley 4X4 (heavily modified)
CCV high profile insulated pop top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #16

Garage
Stock or after market works on the Sprinter with the PH--in retrospect I would go with stock--the aftermarket put on by SMBW isn't that clear compared with the stock. The Mercedes quality is almost like a camera, the aftermarket, not at all and the field of vision is smaller.
SMB told us the hole was there for some sort of antenna and to just seal it with silicone. We are taking it to Mercedes to do the work because silicone in this area won't hold.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #17

I have the same hole in my roof, a 2012 Sprinter. I discovered it in the rain when the water came down through the light in the back. It's a plastic plug, glued in, not welded. There's a board underneath it that pushes on it and pushed it out. I put in a shim so the board doesn't hit the plug, and reglued the plug. Doesn't look quite as nice as it did, as Mercedes painted over the plug, but nobody can see it anyway.

- Steve
SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #18

Garage
Is the board a SMB or Mercedes addition to the penthouse area? Reason I ask is Mercedes is going to fix it but if the board is something SMB put there, the issue will happen again. I just want to "fix" it once. I guess Mercedes will work with SMB since they are Official Mercedes Upfitters but wonder who will eventually be responsible. Seems like it might be a common problem, and actually a pretty serious one if it causes water damage inside. thanks
Old 01-29-2016, 11:22 AM   #19

The board that pushes the plug out is part of the ceiling panel that SMB installed. If Mercedes fixes it without addressing the issue of the board, I expect it will just happen again. It's not a difficult fix to do yourself if you're handy with a screwdriver to get the ceiling off so you can access the board. If you do this yourself, remember where everything came from because you'll need to put them back in the same place!
SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #20

Garage
Thanks Steve
Not thinking I should have to fix this since it is less than 8 months old and it happened around 7 months. Definitely not interested in undoing the ceiling in a new van! Will see what MBZ has to say once they try to fix it. Thinking SMB might want to address it on future tops and that they must have seen this before (at least yours).