Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #1

Garage
Hole in roof under Sprinter penthouse...

Seems we can't win--popped the top to clean the top and found this hole in the back of the roof--looks like the weld has cracked? Does anyone else who has a penthouse have this hole and if so, is it sealed/welded correctly and solid? Picked up in May, 9K miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1026.jpg  

hildems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #2

I have no knowledge of sprinter roofs, but I'd be calling SMB West asap... that looks unacceptable!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I have no knowledge of sprinter roofs, but I'd be calling SMB West asap... that looks unacceptable!
Yeah, that doesn't really qualify as just an 'oops'. Mistakes happen, but if they cut that hole and didn't tell you about it and then try to make things right (discount or credit towards some parts or service), that's just wrong.

Politely call them out on it (privately), and see what they have to say.

IMO, they need to completely rethink that cap solution, and go with something under compression, and then to do it right, they should probably spray your entire roof with bedliner.

Herb
Old 12-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Wow!...yes, that doesn't look right at all. There seems to be a disk shape on the other side of the roof too, it looks factory, but can't tell and I haven't poked around on the roofs of any sprinters. Does that one on the other side look cut and secured? Or factory sealed? It may be SMB had to make ports to access installing the lock downs for the top? Does that line up? A call to SMBW is in order either way. GL

2003 Ford E-350 SMB RB-50
7.3L w/DP tuner & 4" exhaust
Quigley 4X4 (heavily modified)
CCV high profile insulated pop top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #5

Garage
Only the one hole

It is in the center, near the back and we have been trying to figure out who did it and why since we discovered it. I know we have to call SMBW but are dreading it as we have had numerous other things that were sub-acceptable but this just is incredibly horrible-some pics are in my gallery but I have no idea how to access them after the new web update. Maybe it is stock Mercedes, who knows-I am pursuing that line first since we have a great connection at MB. I am hoping if it is stock that the penthouse weight, torque, whatever didn't cause it to pop open. We went with SMB because they were official Mercedes Upfitters. This van has been babied, rarely driven on dirt and then only super slowly. Never raised penthouse if windy, never driven with it up, etc.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #6

I agree with REF, the roof itself looks to have a perfectly formed stamped indent around the cap and it looks perfectly centered.. My first call would be MB. That being said, if the rig was purchased brand new from SMBW, they should have caught that.

Thinking it was for some MB Factory option??
Old 12-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Looks like a factory made impression or hole that SMB filled (poorly) to clear the Penthouse Top.

Perhaps a backup camera?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #8

Some body length/height combos have rear factory roof air, instead of midship. That could very well be the knockout for the refrigerant lines.

It's probably not welded. Looks like its probably body seam filler, similar to what Ford uses inside the gutters on their vans.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #9

Garage
Our old 2005 had rear air but this is a 2015 with a newer style top and the air would be mid roof on these. The PH top when it is down clears this hole by about 3-4 inches. SMB did add a rear back up camera but I thought they said they went in through the inside/rear back up/brake light area on the top of the door. Just trying to figure out whether the torque put on the roof from the PH top was enough to pop this seal, however it was put on, and then how to fix it so it doesn't happen again. So much for a road trip until we get it sorted out. Glad I saw it before it got rained on though.
Just heard from MB--it is stock--they have never seen one rust and crack and it is covered under warranty. Thanks for all the help everyone! Happy season and happy travels.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildems View Post
Our old 2005 had rear air but this is a 2015 with a newer style top and the air would be mid roof on these.
Some configurations still have rear roof A/C, that's why I suspect the knock-out is an artifact from the other configurations.