Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #1

Hymer Sprinter

https://youtu.be/jqAJAyHjeK0

Looks like Hymer is using the acquisition of Roadtrek to sell this sprinter. Looks stealthier than The RT Agile.

MtShasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #2

Looks like they may have a pop top of some kind also at the end of this video.

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #3

And, I see that they and Winnebago are using the small side wings to allow sleeping across the van instead of front to back. You also may not have to wait for a year to get one.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
tlg

Garage
Hymer Aktiv with Pop Top "Loft"

Hymer just introduced a pop top version of the Aktiv that they claimed will sleep six. Would like to see more about their integration of a pop top and about how well these things do on the market.

Skip to the 1:59 mark in this video:

Erwin Hymer Group North America, Inc. Introduces New Hymer Loft edition at RVIA show in Louisville. - Go Hymer
Old 12-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #5

I've looked at the Euro-spec Hymer Class B vans a few times in Germany. Build quality is really good (seemingly) and layouts and materials choices are very nice, too. If I was SMB I'd be a little worried, but they still have the semi/custom market pretty much to themselves, I guess.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #6

Alan has been in talks with a European company about building a vertical wall cabin to fit on the back of the E-350 cutaway. It isn't Hymer, but from what I gathered, it seems similar to some of their European products
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #7

Garage
European-built Hymers have a longstanding reputation for quality. If you pay attention to the forums, you may find different results for Hymers built on this side of the pond. Careful research would be of benefit.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
European-built Hymers have a longstanding reputation for quality. If you pay attention to the forums, you may find different results for Hymers built on this side of the pond. Careful research would be of benefit.
I'd agree with that. Before placing our order for a 4x4 Sprinter for our own conversion my wife and I stopped to look at some newly delivered Hymer Aktiv vans at a local RV dealer.

We were both disappointed by glaring issues with the build quality. In one Aktiv, the vinyl(?) flooring did not lay flat and had a large noticeable hump. We saw dried glue exposed in places where it shouldn't be and latches that didn't close properly.

I had higher hopes with all the talk about how German engineering and quality control was going to be used in the North American Hymer production. It looks like the bean counting penny (Loonie/Euro?) pinchers had too much influence in the final product.
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #9

From looking at slightly used Sprinter RoadTreks (RT) and being on the Facebook RT owner's group, the QA and QC seem poor. You may get a fully loaded RV, but not all of the systems will work when you drive it off the lot. It seems RT is relying on their 5-6 yr warranty for customers to do the final testing and dealers to do the final troubleshooting.

I finally saw a Hymer Aktiv and materials feel cheap compared to my SMB 150S on the 144 Sprinter. I'm glad we went with the SMB route. I want to check out the Winnebago Revel to compare their materials and workmanship.
MtShasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtShasta View Post
From looking at slightly used Sprinter RoadTreks (RT) and being on the Facebook RT owner's group, the QA and QC seem poor. You may get a fully loaded RV, but not all of the systems will work when you drive it off the lot. It seems RT is relying on their 5-6 yr warranty for customers to do the final testing and dealers to do the final troubleshooting.

I finally saw a Hymer Aktiv and materials feel cheap compared to my SMB 150S on the 144 Sprinter. I'm glad we went with the SMB route. I want to check out the Winnebago Revel to compare their materials and workmanship.
I'm interested in checking out a Revel as well...

spoke with a local dealer today and he said fully loaded Revel (only 3 options) sticker is $140k, he'll sell likely for $115k

Even with the wait, for that $ I'd likely go SMB.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote