Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #1

Interconnecting Espar D5 & engine coolant glycol loops

I'm am working with SMB-West on finalizing the MB order for a RB 2500 for conversion next June. I've come to the conclusion that I want to have a Rixen D5 for rear compartment air and water heat AND also tie the D5's glycol loop into the Sprinter's engine coolant loop by way of a Rixen water-to-water exchanger -- for rear compartment heat while the engine is running. This will cut down on the burning of diesel in the D5, especially important while driving in dirty conditions. But SMB-West is telling me that MB won't allow them to thermally tie these loops together for warranty reasons. They can't even prep for this by running hoses from the MB option H88's Rear Heater Prep B-Pillar location to the area where I'm going to install the D5! Nor can they explicitly leave room for mounting the needed water-to-water heater exchanger!! So I'm investigating what I can do to ease the retrofitting of the hoses & exchanger myself -- either before, during or after SMB-West's work. Anyone had experience in doing this? Any suggestions? I'm most concerned about how I can route (after SMB-West's work) the two coolant hoses from the B-Pillar to the equipment area beneath my Sprinter 4x4 RB 150S bench seat, where the D5 & its glycol loop will be accesssible.

I am also curious about MB's V94 & V95 Rear Cable Duct options. Anyone used these? I haven't found a good description of size and location(s) -- maybe useful for the above described coolant hoses? SMB-West says that they don't order either of these two options -- although I've seen them included on at least one SMB-West order shared on this forum!

TIA!!!!

2018 Sprinter 4x4 RB150S w/PH Lithium Build ("Starr Van")
Pictures of some Starr adventures (starting in 2019): https://rick.samcos.com/galleries/
rsamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #2

Just to update this, you can do what you're proposing with the H88 option. Just becomes a matter of space and routing.

The V94 and V95 options weren't picked by us. They just showed up on our build sheet when we were notified our van was pulled for production. They're "options" but I believe every van comes with it standard.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 PM   #3

Rick, I am doing this right now. I've found that the H88 option is not all that great for my application as it loops the supply and return very tightly and vertically making it hard to connect into them with little space before the floor, so I am bypassing it and connecting into soft coolant hoses around the factory D5 with valves and tees and tying those into my heating loop. All of the components I am using I am checking the specs to ensure that they can be used with coolant and will withstand operating and ambient conditions of at least -10F to 250F to ensure that they hold up to the conditions I may encounter, and pressures in line with the cooling system. It's risky yet should work well.
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #4

Thanks for that info, kcshoots! I won't have a factory D5 to tap into, rather a Rixen D5 system in the rear of the van. So I really want to be able to connect to the H88 connectors. If possible, a photo of the H88's tight connection area would be appreciated. Good luck on your project!!!

Pictures of some Starr adventures (starting in 2019): https://rick.samcos.com/galleries/
Old 07-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #5

I took some photos of the H88 option, but do not know how to load photos here. The only option is for me to post a URL. Any suggestions?
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
Old 07-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #6

Likewise, I only know how to include a picture using an url (i.e., through the "mountain plus sun" button in the this forum's reply dialogs). If no one else suggests an alternative, I can host those images on my server long term and post the link(s). I can pm to you my email address in order to get those image(s) to me.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #7

Garage
Uploading photos

Re: posting pics

Click User CP on top of page.

Click Pictures and Albums under Networking category.

Click Add Album at bottom of page.

Click Upload Pictures to copy up to three pics at a time from your computer. If you're wanting to upload pics from some web page, just copy it to your drive first.

When you want to insert one of your album pics to a post, just go to the photo and copy the BB code to paste into your post.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post

Click Upload Pictures to copy up to three pics at a time from your computer.

The number of pictures that can be uploaded has recently been increased from three. I don't recall the new number, possibly six...
Old 07-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #9

Thank you for the info on how to create an album and upload photos. Still unsure how to link to the ones I uploaded on this site, but they are now in my album, Sprinter H88 option. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:02 PM   #10

Thanks for the H88 pictures, that helps a lot!

Here are direct links:
H88 option, metal plumbing from factory Espar to just behind B pillar
H88 option, soft tubing loop termination

Tags
coolant loop, espar d5, h88, v94, v95