Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by optionsexplored View Post
Sorry, maybe I missed it but I can only find the ones for standard van roofs, not for the penthouse/pop top. Can you post a direct link?
Thank you for writing.

We do not presently have adapters for caps and pop tops listed. Assuming the top is curved we need to establish chord height over the width of the vent flange. To do that place a straight edge 17" long over the area where the vent will be located. Level it so the gap on both sides is the same. Then measure the gap to the nearest 1/16" or mm. If there is a flat section in the middle then tell us what the length of that is.

On some tops the curvature at the front of the vent location is different than the rear. In that case provide dimensions for both.

It is best if you can send a photo of the straight edge placed across the roof so I can see that the measurements were taken correctly. It also lets me judge the curvature and see any variation.

We usually can produce an adapter that fits on the first try but are willing to produce additional ones if we don't get the fit right the first time. There is no additional charge if we need to make another adapter or two. You just need to return the unused ones.

Please visit DIYvan for our contact information.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrimm View Post
We've ordered the Maxxair Deluxe 7500k model for our new Colorado Camper Van top. We've never had a roof fan, so this should be a nice upgrade. But we often carry stuff on our roof, like raft frames, sea kayaks, Yakima Skybox, etc. Does anyone know if the Maxxair sits proud of roof rack bars? I'd hate to smash our new (and rather expensive) fan.
Yes, The MaxxAir dome height will be above the uni-strut channel rails. Did you get the Hi Top or Med CCV Top? Locating the fan cut-out is a bit of a design exercise to accommodate racks, solar, etc. Especially on an RB roof, an still have the fan located in a place that it will provide good ventilation.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:39 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Yes, The MaxxAir dome height will be above the uni-strut channel rails. Did you get the Hi Top or Med CCV Top?
We're getting the CCV Hi Top and looking forward to the storage space. Mark at CCV thought the Maxxair dome would be about 1/8" lower than the Yakima bars, but my experience with the Yakima round bars is they flex a bit with the 80 lb raft frame on top. He did say they could shim the unistrut a bit for a little extra clearance.

BTW, I'll be putting our existing SMB pop top up for sale in a few days if anyone is interested. PM me for more info.
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #34

You will really like the hi top, especially stepping up from the SMB pop top.

Re: cross bars - I know Thule makes different height towers for their bars. I am guessing Yakima does as well.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #35

Quote:
We're getting the CCV Hi Top and looking forward to the storage space. Mark at CCV thought the Maxxair dome would be about 1/8" lower than the Yakima bars, but my experience with the Yakima round bars is they flex a bit with the 80 lb raft frame on top. He did say they could shim the unistrut a bit for a little extra clearance.

BTW, I'll be putting our existing SMB pop top up for sale in a few days if anyone is interested. PM me for more info.

What style rack - basket? Or is that just implied with most that put the racks on SMBs? Because if you don't use a basket then you could just arrange stuff around so the load won't interfere with the fan. Or, if the basket is custom or could easily be customized, perhaps you could get a cut-out for it. (I know, more $)
optionsexplored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #36

Garage
Quote:
We've ordered the Maxxair Deluxe 7500k model for our new Colorado Camper Van top. We've never had a roof fan, so this should be a nice upgrade. But we often carry stuff on our roof, like raft frames, sea kayaks, Yakima Skybox, etc. Does anyone know if the Maxxair sits proud of roof rack bars? I'd hate to smash our new (and rather expensive) fan.
One potential way to get around that would be to mount a warrior basket on your roof forward or aft of the fan and carry your boat on that. That will lift your boat pretty high and will clear at least the closed fan and possibly the open one, too.

But, gee, you’re going to be pretty high up there.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
One potential way to get around that would be to mount a warrior basket on your roof forward or aft of the fan and carry your boat on that.
Good thought, but you're right, it would be pretty high and it's already a chore to get the raft frame or kayaks on the SMB roof. Both raft frame and kayaks take up so much roof space there's no way to avoid the fan other than raising the gear higher. Or giving up on the Maxxair and finding a lower profile fan.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Good thought, but you're right, it would be pretty high and it's already a chore to get the raft frame or kayaks on the SMB roof. Both raft frame and kayaks take up so much roof space there's no way to avoid the fan other than raising the gear higher. Or giving up on the Maxxair and finding a lower profile fan.
Bardo, did you wind up installing the MaxxAir Fan? I’m interested in how the boat-carry issues worked out for you.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #39
KDB

Double thumbs up on the Maxx. Moves a lot of air and does help when dropping a pop top to keep the walls sucked in.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Bardo, did you wind up installing the MaxxAir Fan? I’m interested in how the boat-carry issues worked out for you.
Hi Otter, we haven't had any occasion to carry boats or raft frame since we picked up the van in November. All the water around here is frozen! I'm sure we'll be OK carrying them since Derek gave us some chunks of Unistrut to attach to the Unistrut on the roof to function as risers. Clearing the fan shouldn't be a problem with the Yakima bars on top of the risers, but I'm not sure we'll be able to use it with gear on top. Maybe we'll have a few inches to raise the fan cover and get some air flow.

We're loving the top, thanks CCV!