Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2018, 06:42 AM   #1

Maxx Air Fans

Does anyone have any strong opinion or advice on a rooftop fan that would be preferred?

As part of our current modification at SMB West we are removing our rooftop A/C and replacing with another fan. The replacement fan will be directly over the new bed platform.

We currently have a fan in the forward part of the van.

Attached is a screenshot of a fan I've seen used widely.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20181122-133030.jpg  

Old 11-25-2018, 07:03 AM   #2

I strongly recommend the Maxxair fan above. I have installed many of them in my personal builds and for others. I really like the 6200 and 7000 models, 7000 has the remote. Both of these are reversible 10 speed fans that can be run in the rain without leaking. Anything below 6200 is very basic and the price difference is small.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:08 AM   #3

Scotty, thanks for the quick comeback. Appreciate the good information.

The only issue I have with our current fan is it can't be run in the rain or when the vehicle is moving at speed. it does have a rain sensor which closes the fan but if it's raining sideways (has happened!), it needs to be shut completely.

The attached screenshot seems to show a fan that can be both run while at highway speed and can stay open drawing or discharging air in heavy rains.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #4

We've been happy with our dual Maxx Air fan set up. Being able to run in the rain is obviously a must-have in this area!

Setting one to inflow and the other to outflow is a great way to expel heat quickly, or suck bugs out of the van. The screen goes on and off easily for this purpose.

The remote controls are superfluous, since reaching for the remote and reaching for the fan are about the same amount of effort. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the same remote controls either fan, depending on where you point it. I believe ours has a thermostat, too, although we've never used it.

While we try not to leave it on at highway speeds, we've forgotten in the past with no ill effects. Seems like opening a window would be more effective with less drag, anyways. The front fan housing recently developed a slight rattle at relative wind speeds around 75mph, though.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
Scotty, thanks for the quick comeback. Appreciate the good information.

The only issue I have with our current fan is it can't be run in the rain or when the vehicle is moving at speed. it does have a rain sensor which closes the fan but if it's raining sideways (has happened!), it needs to be shut completely.

The attached screenshot seems to show a fan that can be both run while at highway speed and can stay open drawing or discharging air in heavy rains.
Yes, the one you showed is the one I am talking about. It can be run while driving or parked, open or closed.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #6

Greetings Backcountryguy, I am very happy with my Maxx Air Fan. Previously I had a Fantastic fan and then another. Their top of the line models with the remotes and both failed fantasticly. The first one the controller board failed in the first year. Lived with it just hard wired to the motor for a few years. Replaced it with another (not sure what I was thinking) which worked Ok but the plastic flange cracked at the corners and leaked into the van for a two days during a rain storm in Flagstaff. My pet peeve with the fantastic fans are that the thermal switch on the motor will shut down when you need the fan the most, on a hot day. Stupid.

Yes, in my experience with the Maxx Fan, it will meet your wants. I've had mine open and running in a Colorado rain/hail storm and it didn't leak or break. I have driven a lot with it open around town and beyond, but I don't think I've driven 75 MPH highway speeds with it open yet. I think mine is the 6200 , the one without the remote, which is fully variable speed. I don't have AC and am usually solar only so when it's warm I'll leave it on all night on a low setting which is real quiet. I'm way more happy with it than the not so Fantastic Fan.

Here is a pic of mine when I installed it two summers ago for reference. Although I don't think your installing yours in a Pop Top if you previously had A/C. Post a pic of your's when you get a fan installed, fans are cool.

- Eric

ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #7

Shuttlepilot,

Thanks for the great feedback and pictures. I'm more and more inclined to go in this direction, since the van is @ SMB West anyway. I think the fans will be an improvement over what I currently have.

Thanks again for the feedback, once again proving this forum is a wealth of great info for all van owners, Sportsmobile or not.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #8

[QUOTE=AndrewInSeattle;241026]
The remote controls are superfluous, since reaching for the remote and reaching for the fan are about the same amount of effort. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the same remote controls either fan, depending on where you point it. I believe ours has a thermostat, too, although we've never used it.

My E-350 has a Colorado Camper Van top, which is 16" high... but it goes up another 28" when open, and there is no way you can reach the controls, so a remote is essential!

Also, the thermostat is great, for example, when you go on a long hike and come back to a hot interior. With the thermostat set, the fan will come on while you are gone and the van will be at least tolerable when you return. I do, however, have a 200 A.H. house battery system, and I make sure the fan is on a lower setting.
palsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #9

I have no practical experience with fans as mine does not have one. However I have read on it a bunch and plan to put in a Maxxair fan (ideally two).I have one sitting here ready to be installed. Of course, I need to find a garage to warm up the rig as it's pretty cold in AK and feel that the tape and dicor would not work at these temps. Following.
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #10
tlg

Garage
The Maxxair fan is the way to go. Ease of maintenance and cleaning is worth noting. Brilliant design allows you to quickly drop the screen, wipe the blades, and clean the shroud. Definitely recommend the remote (especially in a Sprinter). I use it to check the temp even when not using the fan. Just a solid all around design.