Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #1

Mercedes says goodbye to diesel in North America??

Not sure if it applies to Sprinters, but check this article out:

Mercedes says goodbye to diesel in North America | Driving

JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #2

Smart move by MB, why should they eat the costs of repairs.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #3

Mercedes 4x4 in a nice turbo gasser would please a lot of folks.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

Oh, great. I've been waiting a full year for my build to begin, now this. I don't know if this will affect my delivery. Even if I get the thing, am I now going to face unavailability of the required fuel as I drive all over North America?!

How discouraging!

This is a good reason to have an auxiliary tank: fill both when you can get the B5 fuel.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Mercedes 4x4 in a nice turbo gasser would please a lot of folks.
Yep, or hmmmm, let's just imagine for a second if they just made a decent diesel engine that would run on any diesel you put in it. Seems like OTR trucks (tractor trailers) have figured this out. Why can MB not figure it out for the Sprinters? I'm sure the EPA is the party fouler here.

Here's a thought. Glider kits for Sprinters/vans. The big trucks are doing it. Sell the complete chassis minus engine and a few geniuses will get rich building capable engines to put in them that bypass the EPA.

Like this:

https://www.fitzgeraldgliderkits.com...RoC4LAQAvD_BwE
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Yep, or hmmmm, let's just imagine for a second if they just made a decent diesel engine that would run on any diesel you put in it. Seems like OTR trucks (tractor trailers) have figured this out. Why can MB not figure it out for the Sprinters? I'm sure the EPA is the party fouler here.
I think it has less to do with the EPA, and more to do with the bean counters. The VW scandal painted a pretty clear picture: It was technically feasible to built compliant cars, but not at the price points established.

On a very related note: Bosch started complaining about US fuel quality damaging CP4 fuel pumps as soon as they came out, and warranty claims piled in. This affected VWs the most, because they ran the highest system pressures, but also the Powerstrokes and Duramax diesels too. It seems like failures as less common now, but they still happen. In the Powerstrokes, this is an $11,000 fix each time....
Old 12-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #7

President Bush and congress members from southern states really pushed hard to get more corn added to vehicle fuels in the US--purely to sell more corn. The corn, which competes for food as well, increases water and energy use while having a net increase in pollution. This is well talked about and understood at the time these corn subsidies were put into place over a decade ago. Unfortunately, this is a result of it. I'm certainly an advocate for cleaner air--I would think all air breathers are--but more efficient engine technologies and drivetrain electrification are more effective at reducing emissions and increasing fuel economy than corn in the fuel. I have a BMW 3.0 liter diesel that puts out far more toque and horsepower (nearly double) than the Mercedes 3 liter diesel and while getting almost double the fuel economy with less emissions and no turbo lag unlike the Mercedes engine/tranny combo we have in our Sprinters. So I wonder why Mercedes can't build a better diesel (and tranny combo) for the Sprinter when their best selling engine worldwide is a smaller diesel than we have in our Sprinters and other manufacturers are doing it. I think as someone else said it comes down to reducing their liability and cost now that fewer Americans are interested in or suspect of Diesel engines.
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:58 AM   #8

Consider: what does this filing mean...?

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/39611
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post

Here's a thought. Glider kits for Sprinters/vans. The big trucks are doing it. Sell the complete chassis minus engine and a few geniuses will get rich building capable engines to put in them that bypass the EPA.

Like this:

https://www.fitzgeraldgliderkits.com...RoC4LAQAvD_BwE
Unfortunately Class 8 vehicles are vastly different from anything like a Sprinter as they're (presently) somewhat immune from EPA regulations that would apply to lighter duty vehicles.

Given the relative lack of interest in aftermarket engines by a significant portion of the US market there might not be too many willing to step for too small a potential market.

Being completely clueless why diesel engines are desired for the SMB-type vehicles along with the more plentiful supply of refueling outlets for simple gasoline non-diesel powered would be too much hassle for me. Again I'm clueless why diesels are desired so don't skewer me too much.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #10

Below is a related article from 2009. I have not seen a B20 station in Washington nor in British Columbia. I've been driving a VW Golf TDI since 2011 (soon to be turned in). The car went across the country and back in 2012 and also saw a max of b5 stickers.

Biodiesel Magazine - The Latest News and Data About Biodiesel Production