Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2021, 07:30 PM   #1

Talking Modernizing Charlie, a nine year old Sportsmobile

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I jumped with you all to speak Sportsmobile.

Right now Charlie, our nine year old Sprinter 3500 based Sportsmobile build, is doing great but feeling progress is passing us by. The build is still rock solid, well if rocks creak a bit, but that's a simple trip to Sportsmobile away from resolution. A nine year old van on that stiff suspension and that's my only build gripe - a couple creaks! Other brands would probably be parked and used for storage space...

So this is what I'm looking to do:
  • Remove diesel generator (hangs 6" above the road and eliminates and off road adventures, it drags on driveway approaches! Not SMB's fault!).
  • Get rear box to hold a small portable gas/propane generator, one big enough to power ac - that could be my biggest challenge.
  • Upgrade shocks so rear passengers don't have to wear a harness to keep them from bouncing off the ceiling and still deliver great handling - don't these things handle great?
  • Convert to lithium batteries.
  • Upgrade stereo head with new one with best nav system. Where to do it and what to install?
  • Install the high-idle option on engine.
  • Install larger propane tank where generator was or return spare tire there.
  • Change out interior lights with all LED and decorative cover plates where older larger fixtures were.

I live in South Bay Area near San Jose. Does anyone know of a shop that can do what I'm looking for now?

I'll travel if I have to and am sure the work will be good and solid but otherwise closer to home is better.

I know there is collective experience and knowledge here so thank you in advance for any help you could provide in my quest for a new old van.

Great to be back.

Thank you.

Chumley

Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote