Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #11

Re: My SMB-S Build

I love my bixenon headlights. As it is my first vehicle with them it is weird to finally sit behind he wheel of a vehicle that has them versus seeing those bright blue lights coming at you! When you are driving, they are bright, and not blue looking!

Our fiamma manual awning takes exactly 2 minutes from start to finish to open up and deploy. Very easy to crank our and place. Once person job.

We elected to add the internal danhard AC versus the diesel espar heater. I purchased a little buddy heater for "in the field" days and find that a small plug in heater works well for when I have shore power.

Do you happen to know c2turbo (the www site / guy who runs it?) Friend of mine....

Can't wait to see the pictures!

tv

tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #12

My SMB-S Build

Thanks guys - very interesting discussion...

I'm leaning towards a 4x4 but a Sprinter keeps sneaking back in for consideration.

From the minimal research I've done, it looks like the difference between a duelie 2500 and a 3500 is 2500 pounds of GCVW.

Anything else ??

And how do they do that ?? Is it heavier duty springs ??

(Disregarding the high / low roof issue)

You guys just might sway me away from that Ford....

Steve W
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #13

My SMB-S Build

I dreamt of a 4x4 but realistically I don't have the time get that thing dirty. Most of my travels have been from park to park rather than back country. The operating cost per mile is about triple the sprinter compared to the 30 plus year old e350 and I have not seen anyone convert the new full size transit - yet... Maybe someday when I move to flagstaff...

The improved gas milage, newer mb tech, and the added gvwr swayed me in the end but alas... Maybe in 2015 mb will release the sprinter with 4-matic awd and a lift and a manual tranny and a....
ilovegt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #14

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegt100
I dreamt of a 4x4 but realistically I don't have the time get that thing dirty.
I was pushing for a 4wd Sprinter but finally desided I had been there and done all that. The Sprinter will take you to a lot of great places - National Forest, BLM, etc. off the beaten path. I have been on a couple of outings (meet-ups) with the 4wd crowd and had a great time. They let you know if a trail won't work for a Sprinter and invite you to ride with them if you want.

For my area I got Backcountry Adventures for Northern California. It shows many trails, details and rates them 1-5. #2s are easy for a Sprinter (like a forest service road-dirt, rocks and water crossings. #3s and even some #4s are possible. I have the brush scratches to attest to that. So whatever part of the country you are in, look for a book like that.

I do carry some "special" gear for the trails. Shovel, recovery strap, and an air compressor but have never had to use them. The only thing that will stop you is rain/mud. That mountain soil when wet is more slippery than snot on a door knob.

Regards,

Keith
Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #15

You guys are REALLY swaying me towards a Sprinter build.

4x4 is way cool... but... maybe a nice little jeep to be pulled behind a sprinter is the ticket...

Keith - may I bother you with a question - what floorplan did you build out ??

Thanks all,
Steve W
Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #16

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW
You guys are REALLY swaying me towards a Sprinter build.

4x4 is way cool... but... maybe a nice little jeep to be pulled behind a sprinter is the ticket...

Keith - may I bother you with a question - what floorplan did you build out ??

Thanks all,
Steve W
I think the jeep option is one we lean to also.
We did a custom floor plan, http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/w ... orplan.jpg so we have windows all around. The build story is here, http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/t ... -sprinter/

The best thing we have is the "back porch" where the toilet is. We tie down coolers in there full of gear or whatever, plus sleeping bags, etc. I read a survey once on a motor home site that the 2 most unused things in a rv were the shower and the microwave. We still have a microwave but x'd the shower as it makes everything too dark for our tastes. Showers are easy to come by. Did you know in Alaska they sell "showers"? $5 gets you soap/towel and a shower!

Keith
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Site Team

I picked up one of these portable showers before my last trip. There were no other people for miles around, so we just used a rubber pad to stand on, and took showers in our swim suits. Wouldn't want to do that everyday by any means, but for me, a shower is a luxury when camping.

http://bigkahunaportableshowers.com/index.htm

Herb
Old 10-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #18

Hey Benji,

Sorry to digress but you had a 600 hp Audi RS6? Holy crap that must have been fun! So you know a bit about how complex the German setups can be. Sprinter looks cool from below, I was looking at the brakes and you can see that they were I think 4 pot up front.

Some misc. info for some questions I just saw. The distinction between the 2500 and 3500 can be elusive. I know that the suspension is heavier so you get additional leafs on the rear springs, can get larger sway bars, can get more heavy duty mounting for suspension parts, might have the front brakes on the rear. The end result for me was that the handling is taught but not overly firm. Very nice balance with my heavy load. I've had bi-xenon lights on a couple of cars and won't go out of my way for them anymore once you learn that they costs over $1,000 to replace and they do go once in a while (that was about 3 years ago). Gotta admit that they are very cool though. I'm with Tony, the awning is so simple to open and close that the power one would be cool for the "wow" factor but not sure what else, other than you can have it and who am I to say not to? Of course pushing a button and then go off chasing an errant kid might be a good thing...

I really think that a low top with duallies would look so cool, especially the Alcoa wheels. Oh yeah, and go to Outside Van and see their Pre-runner front push bar. Even my wife says that is what we need so early next year we get that when up north (I hope).

Good luck.

BTW: I just caught that "great Chumley" thing. There is nothing "great" about what I have done except to show great patience and typing a lot. Right now I think I got something tatoo'd across my forehead but can't read it since I have my rose colored glasses on.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #19

Hey now..... don't 3500 dual wheels count as 4x4's?????

tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #20

Well... Now I'm REALLY REALLY leaning towards a Sprinter buildout now...

It'll be a 6x2 !!