Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #271

Kreese,

Thanks for actually paying attention to this old build thread. I mean to update it but was looking for a special occasion to do it, maybe the 6th year anniversary...

I love the shower but you have to understand the size. Ours is 36" wide and it works for us since we're both relatively small, size matters here.

There is absolutely nothing like feeling truly clean on the road. We have learned to use the soap sponges (see the post immediately before yours) to lather up and then rinse off completely in the shower. Having hot water for the shower makes all the difference. If you use the "hot plate" option make sure you get the high engine idle option.

The shower space is also the bathroom where the Thetford Curve toilet resides so it does do double duty, we also store items in there while driving.

I think your need to visit depends on you. I can't speak to the way the shop is run now but when I did my build things got kind of wonky pretty quickly so felt I needed to visit more often than most have shown. Sportsmobile themselves said that my build was only the second one to have issues like mine did in anyone's memory and I tend to believe them.

I love Charlie and he's as solid today as when we drove him out of the building into the world of adventure.

The van has been solid and still drives like a car. I would definitely look for aftermarket shocks if Sportsmobile or Mercedes hasn't addressed use by people like us who don't need the commercial delivery capacity and don't care about ride. But even that is highly dependent on your build and its weight.

Good luck!

Chumley

Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #272

Chumley or anayone,

I have also installed the powertech in my sprinter. Whgat I am struggling with is where they uisually mount the coolant resoivoire tank?

Does anyone have any idea?
denishil33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:09 PM   #273

Kreese. I just picked mine up a few months ago. I’m really happy with the final product. I worked with my sales guy and got pictures weekly. A simple ask and I’m sure they would be willing to do it. With the SIP I would imagine driving over there every few weeks would be a stress on their protocols and a risk for yourself. The trim and finish gets blasted through in about a two week window. All the other stuff is what it is. So I guess I’d ask myself what do you plan to achieve with so many visits? You trusted these people with your money, you worked hard with your sales person on a solid layout and signed it off. I’d let them work but that’s just my opinion.

From my experience though, take everyone’s advice on staying the night to try everything out. Don’t pick it up on a Friday, AND touch and use absolutely everything and feel confident in how it works and if it works before driving home.
SCTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #274

Garage
@denishil33 - just picking up on this old thread - ours is under the dinette just inside the rear passenger-side door
danbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #275

My GTRV build went pretty well. I think it was a first time for them with a lot of the extras like Aluminess bumpers and box. And they built a special north to south bed and installed a 50 gal water tank that I had built in Florida. They also fabricated a shower pan for the shower and cassette toilet compartment. Lots of storage was built in. Very professional work and only an hour away from me. And any little problems I have had have been taken care of no hassle. And I just swapped out my front opening fridge for a drawer fridge and they did an exceptional job doing that.
GvB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #276

My GTRV build went pretty well. I think it was a first time for them with a lot of the extras like Aluminess bumpers and box. And they built a special north to south bed and installed a 50 gal water tank that I had built in Florida. They also fabricated a shower pan for the shower and cassette toilet compartment. Lots of storage was built in. Very professional work and only an hour away from me. And any little problems I have had have been taken care of no hassle. And I just swapped out my front opening fridge for a drawer fridge and they did an exceptional job doing that. My smb build was a 2006 T1n and they did a wonderful job on it. But that’s history.
GvB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:08 PM   #277

Well it's been a while but wanted to drop in and see how things are going with you all.

Van Charlie is now almost nine years old! It just doesn't feel like it's been nine years and 45,000 miles. Sorry for the low mileage, I guess I'm kind of embarrassed but I'll delve more into why the low miles in future posts...

For now I will say that for a nine year old rig he's in incredible shape. The build quality cannot be faulted. These vans are stiff and to take that pounding all these years and nothing has broken is amazing if you ask me. Mind you we take very good care of our stuff but that doesn't help if it falls apart in front of you.

I would not hesitate to take off on a 10,000 mile trip if need be, however there are a few things I'd like to get taken care of before that took place. The Sprinter platform is solid, the Sportsmobile work is solid but there have been great improvements in these kinds of platforms and a little modernizing is in order. I'll write more about that soon.

For now I'm scheduling an appointment with Peter at Sportsmobile for a general once over and tightening of all the cabinetry as a few squeaks and creaks have announced themselves. Still, I'm just so happy with the build quality - I drove a new Roadtrek once at a dealership and it had so many more rattles and squeaks compared to my now nine year old Charlie that it really is amazing.

Great to be back.

Thank you.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote